News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Big Bash legends Weekend - Saturday - Lindholme - Beeches

Started by jasper31, June 07, 2021, 16:08:14

Previous topic - Next topic

jasper31

A sun shinny day for the bashers and everyone had plenty of bites.
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Will wait for Leo's comprehensive and entertaining wright up,but my match started with a pleasant surprise I drew 35 which was opposite peg 3 but repegging put me in the middle for the first time,looked good with a good margin to my right and loads of open water.Started at 4m on paste,small tench and ide on any sized blob I put out there,early to the margins but nothing except ide and tench.Mr Roche to my right was doing a splendid job on maggot catching small fish all day needed some carp,got one in front then one to my left which was very shallow. The scum and rubbish was blowing one way then the other made fishing tricky at times but there was some carp coming up to bits of floating stuff so put a shallow rig in had an odd one when the floating stuff was in the peg,tried feeding a few 4mm soaked hards but made no difference could only get an odd one when they came of there own choice was slow all day,nothing in edge in last hour. Don't like it much on that lake but it is an even pond as far as fishing for bits or carp the wieghts are similar, Mick fished on maggots all day for nearly  50lb I fished for carp for 55lb including one on the whistle.

Leo Martin

Big Bash Legends weekend Saturday 5th June Ferrets Memorial match.

Well the Big Bash Legends weekend kick started with several guys attending Lindholme for a pleasure session on Bonsai. His Lairdship Mike Dodd had driven down early morning and was joined by Glen and the Fox family, Kev Webster and Jasper all arriving before your truly. During this time a walk around the lakes to decide on pegging numbers occurred and by all reports the fishing was going to be hard on most lakes.

Evening meal booked at the Lindholme Phoenix and we were seated outside around 5pm in the evening sunshine. Around our table the order was simple, 4 x haddock, chips and peas and yes someone had to be different with a burger (no names mentioned) accompanied by a glass or two of cool beer and it certainly hit the spot with everyone. Highly recommended. With the foxes on the next table it was a great evening and enjoyed by all before retiring back to the lodge for a little more liquid refreshment, the all-important draw and Sam and Lewis trying a top kit challenge in front of the lodge. Always interesting how much coaching and encouraging takes place and it takes brave lads to sit in front of Bashers when beer is involved. It was noticeable that bites were not coming quickly despite all the advice and banter flying around. Could this be an Omen for the Saturday match?

Saturday morning and supported by an Indian full Monty breakfast the sun was rising high in the sky and getting warmer by the minute. No breeze did not bode well either anyhow as you can gather the excuses are flooding out. Beeches is the most picturesque of Lindholmes lakes and it was Ferrets favourite venue hence holding thee match on their. It is however a different lake now from days of old. The Steroidal carp of old are mostly replaced in the recent restocking of silvers. Ide, roach, Chublets, skimmers and Tench all competing for the anglers baits and are not shy of taking 8, 11mm pellets, even double corn. Loads of bites for everyone and decisions to be taken for match anglers as to a simple choice of silvers or carp, carp or silvers. Heads or tails as to which way to go.

Peg 30 my office for the day, back of Island to point and with 31 and 32 out I could get to the side of 31 where it leads out to the so loads of choices available. Great news was we could drive to our pegs so happy days. My plan was pole lines out front, and Margins, chuck across to Island below the overhanging Willow, and chucks to side of point along the edges. All going well so far and while setting up a shout from Mark in the next peg, he was going to be extra lucky curtesy of a pigeon who deposited its previous days meals down Mark himself. This was quickly followed up with a second deposit on his pole all free of charge of course.

My plan was cast feeder round first, then drop back on pole 2+2 in front if nothing happening and keep having a look back on feeder if required, Margins later in the day hoping for the older generation of Carp to show up.  All good so far in the plan however things change as we need to in match fishing. The water was flat calm, there was no ripple, depth at 2 ½ foot on pole line and the sunshine relentless. To cap it off there was a load of willow tree leaves, catkins, and scum loitering on the surface in front and to both side of me.

No indications on feeder or bomb. Top 2 + 2 revealed silvers and the stamp was worryingly small. I alternated the lines living in hope for a carp or two whilst keeping to go back to the silver lines to keep things moving. Mark and Lewis on next pegs to my left also used similar tactics and Mark managed to pick a decent carp up on his maggot line, well done sir. Young Sam further back chose to sit on 8mm hard pellets in his side lines I believe and was catching carp. He is definitely beginning to shine within our club and its really nice to see him rewarded with results in our matches as well as all the encouraging shouts of assistance and banter with him. 

Opposite me on the other bank was Nigel Cooke and yes he had adopted his favoured Silver approach and instead of swapping and changing he stuck it out. (Lesson for Leo here). Once again, head down and silvers kept coming well done Nige. To his right was Jasper who was on his favoured wand with a chuck across managed to figure things out and carp / F1s were making a steady route to his nets on their own sat nav.

Having seen Sam catch, hearing fish sploshing around Jaspers Landing net I decided to go full on carp and ditch the silver route from around 13:00.  Feeder chucked under Willow and managed about 6 or so smallish carp and F1s. I lost a couple in the margin to my left, silvers had took up residence on my right margin. I then hooked one and managed to net it which only encouraged me more to stay on my quest for carp. The frustrating thing was the surface scum, leaves and willow flowers had parked up and I was having to thread the float and bait between small gaps to try get any sort of presentation. Long story short 26-12 thanks for coming but an enjoyable day in the full Lindholme sunshine. Red arms, red knee knobs, great company and unusually beautiful weather for the Big Bash angling club.

Well done and congratulations to Jasper on his match win and second time trophy winner. Well done all other packet pickers with a special mention to young Sam on his section win, the lads on fire.

I think the heads and tails debate in angler heads of silvers or carp was going off in lots of people's heads as they struggled with any carp action. Some guys caught, some didn't no matter how or what they tried. Most frustrating and interesting to see peoples thoughts. The fish not playing wasn't just located to our match on Beeches as numerous other local lakes and waters also struggled with their weights.

Thank you to Steve Curtis with the scales duties, thank you to Glen on his Whistle puffing and also to everyone else for their respectful minute's handclap prior to match start when we take time to remember our past friends.

After packing up some of us were then faced with the long journey to the front of the fishery and a cold refreshing beer before shower and mystery pairs live draw and Jaspers much awaited BBQ. Tbc.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire