News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

1st August 2020 OakTree fisheries Graizeloud round 5

Started by Leo Martin, August 01, 2020, 23:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

1st August 2020 Summer League round 5 Oak Tree fisheries Graizlound

1st August and YORKSHIRE DAY where Gods Own country celebrates all good things Yorkshire under the historic white rose. Yorkshire Tea, John Smiths, Yorkshire Puddings, Cricket, the first ever football club, and 4 counties within one. Some could say we have our own languages and a massive range of local dialects and sayings.  Whilst Yorkshire takes the prize for the Best European travel destination it offers a great variety of fantastic scenery and today The Big Bash angling club were on the flatlands of the Isle of Axeholme at Oaktree Fisheries.

Under new ownership since our last visit a few years ago, changes are taking place. A new building to house bait etc. a new café well under the way towards finalisation and the new owners now on site 24 x 7 . The caravan and camping market is well catered for and another field has been opened up to cater for expanding numbers. The Oak tree in front of the new bait shop came from an acorn out of my garden when I lived in Henlow Bedfordshire so really pleased to see it growing so well. I donated it to the previous owner as 4 foot high pot grown tree quite a few years ago and now stands about 10 feet tall.

The lake rules could do with clearer explanation to all as there was confusion on some issues but it is great to see an owner enforcing them and hopefully dealing with rule breakers. An issue was raised in our match where a carp was caught and had a banned method feeder still attached to it from a previous encounter with another angler. Not good to see that rules are being broken when method feeders are clearly banned and I am sure the owner will increase monitoring in the future.

After a mini heatwave the area suffered a 30 minute thunderstorm and deluge last night and I am sure it effected the days results. Bright sunshine in the morning which turned to clouds, overcast and a couple of short spells of rain later in the day. A breeze blowing towards the end farest away for the snake lake meant we have flat calm waters for most of the match.

Following Jaspers Friday night draw and yours truly name in hat ( ? as it was park behind peg ) the man with the gammy leg was given peg 18, not too bad a draw and a good winter peg but today it was "summer". Word on the street was 6mm hard pellets, I had corn, Paste, dead reds to compliment and wet micros and some 50:50 Swimstim and halibut groundbait for the Margins.

Top 2 +2 to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, top 2 + 4 straight out in front and "margin line to my left at top2+1 but the margin line was in front of overhanging bushes so not true margin territory. All lines to dead depth. Also a small 115g cage feeder to chuck "where I fancied" as the match developed.

OakTree is a donut shaped lake with central island and established shrubs and trees around the lake side. 26 pegs and it was peg to peg for our match with only a couple with gaps. Some pegs were left for pleasure anglers which made it tighter. Fish were showing all over as we set our tackle up and as per usual when Glens whistle sounded the fish disappeared . the facied pegs were those who were receiving the wind and ripple all match.

My neighbours were Steve Curtis on peg 17 and Indian on peg 19 so it would be a chatty match which makes an enjoyable day especially in our current times of COVID 19 and as a club we promote social distancing be practised to remain safe.

All in and top 2 + 2 with 6mm pellet on the bottom feeding 3 / 4 pellets every few minutes to try draw the fish down. Roach was first fish and then laccy streamed out for a  2lb carp. I stuck with this line and had 3 more carp then had to swap and change things to try locate the fish. It was one fish then they moved on. All lines were tied along with numerous baits but I must say plain  fishery pellets uncoated or dipped worked the best. I caught on nothing else all day. a couple of dips on paste but I suspect it was bits not carp. I switched onto cage feeder packed with micros and hard pellet and dropped this on top2+2 line to catch a few then chucked to top 2 + 4 line and finally mid track cattying pellets over the top. The feeder bites were really ferocious and even the 1lb carp fought like stink. 39lb 2 for 3rd in section and the long barren spells cost me combined Steve Curtis having a golden final hour, well done Steve.
Steve set off having a nightmare with squirrels, moorhen, and a couple of feeders and hooks lost in his first hour. Casting to the island the fish were intermittent and more chublets and Ide than carp for long periods of the day. He again suffered long barren spells but his last hour came really good and moved him to another section win.

Steak on peg 21 caught small skimmers and silvers throughout the match and the occasional carp pulling his string. Fishing mainly out in front but he too rotated lines to try eeek out the elusive carp.

Jasper on peg 20 unusually struggled and lost a few but caught only about 6 fish. Pole, feeder, jigger, margins all tried and it was bad day at black rock for our honourable secretary on what I am sure will be one of his droppers.

Good buddy Indian also played the swap and change game throughout the match, top 2 + 2, log pole, margins and Kev chose Bomb for his feeder rod putting pellets over the top. Catch a fish and then wait and move elsewhere. Kev also had  good run on the bomb but for some reason they moved off it again.

Frustrating for us all up our end of the lake, the pleasure anglers also struggled and Steve Guy on peg 1 looked to have a hard match and to make it worse I guess lost a quid to his buddy Smiler.

Dave Fox was our match winner from peg 14 taking time out from snacking to put 74lb in his net, well done Dave great performance on the day.
Section 1
Winner Mick Roche peg 2 73.12 so close mate.
2nd in section Zak on  peg 4 67-1
Section 2
Winner League leader John Lanelly peg 11 with 66-1
2nd in section Andy w8 peg 7 51-12
Section 3
Winner Kevin Chalk peg 13 and 62-8
2nd I section peg 12 39-10
Section 4 Steve Curtis peg 17 69-3
2nd in section Steve Akal peg 20 42-4.

Nice to see and welcome John Balmforth back into the fold, stay safe John and don't leave it too long before another visit.

In the circumstances, changeable weather and close pegging I believe the fishery fished well. Looking at some other fisheries and match results in the area all have taken a hit today following the storms last night. Despite close pegging everyone seems to have had bites and caught and numerous lost fish and rigs have been had. The carp were off like stink and fought beyond their weight so when they grow will give everyone's tackle a good test. Im not sure if any of the larger fish were caught today, largest in my net was about 4lbs but I do know they run to early doubles.

Well done Jasper on the organisation once again, well done timekeeper Glen and our weighing in team of Steve Curtis and Keith Smith. Please remember to social distance and no following the scales so all remain safe.

Next match is an afternoon match at Torne Bank on the 15th August. Confirmations and payments required please.
There is a friendly on Hollywood Bowl next Saturday, please urgently be in touch if interested.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire