Section 5
J Utting - Peg 36.           34lb 5oz.    2nd in section
F Turton - Peg 37.           DNW
A Waite - Peg 39.           44lb 8oz.    1st in section
Jasper - Peg 40.             23lb
S Akal - Peg 41.             32lb 14oz
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Very disappointing 1st match back after our lay off,our hush hush nets in as a special favour seemed to apply to all as everyone had net in,started on paste big lump,little lump made no difference a 2oz silver,tried feeding them off that did not work, tried feeding 8cm pellets that did not work still 2oz silver.sat on 8km pellet on bomb and pole nothing but the odd 2oz silver.Together with the wind and rain in the face was not the start I hope for,where have all the carp gone.On wards to Candys

Leo Martin

Big Bash Memorial match for Ferret and Jack
Lindholme Beeches 6.6.2020

Well after a long wait  for all the right reasons we finally got together on the bank with keepnets and competition mode. The Current Pandemic of COVID 19 still in circulation and a couple of our members not joining us for quarantine reasons as they protect themselves and families orf or all the right and understandable reasons. The club has addressed the COVID situation with measures to protect and shield everyone by following the social distancing guidelines which from my point of view worked really well. The weighing in from Peg 1  went very well indeed with the modified tripod and strict policing, well done Jasper an Andy for the background work and trials they run in advance. Hope it travelled around the lake okay as I followed the guidelines and left as soon as weighed in.

As a friendly social club the new COVID distancing guidelines, late start, and staggered arrival meant we missed our pre match meet up, catch up and banter but taking this to one side we were able to fish together in competition mode. Great to see PapaKev re-join the fold and after working nights in Scarborough in his role within the NHS. Keep up the great work you are doing mate and glad you enjoyed your day which would help take your mind off the long hours. Good to See Nigel Cooke as well out of shielding and he was my neighbour for the day with Steak ( last years bedroom sharing buddy) opposite so when the horrendous wind allowed we were able to share a little limited banter and advice.

Peg 1 for the day for yours truly, now known as cripple corner I suppose saw a short walk with tackle from car to peg. Many thanks for the offers of help, I am trying to be as independent as possible and really grateful for the offers so please dont take offence and keep them coming. Anyhow I managed to get gear to peg and set up just in time so ready for the off.

The minute's handclapping in respect to our lost friends and club legends went very well and was fitting considering we lost Jack and never had the chance to say goodbye with all the restrictions in place. RIP friend and share a joke with Ferret as you watch over us.

Simple approach left hand margin ( old peg1) right hand margin to sedges, top 2 + 2 at 10 o'clock as a maggot line and shotgun feeder alongside of sedges at end of lake backing onto carpark.
Feeder for first hour saw I x carp and 1 x F1, lots of twitches with nothing there. I guess this was the small fish what couldn't open their mouths large enough for the 8mm offering.
Maggot line saw silverfish a chuck and decision was stay and catch silvers or fish for the bonus carp, I chose the wrong one, nothing new there.
I followed Steak who went in margins early and managed a small carp and then silvers hit my bait there. Steak was plagued in his margins by silvers most of the day, his beastmaster well over gunned for the small Ide, roach, skimmers .

Rest of match was spent rotating lines in search of the heavier bonus fish I guess bad call as I should have got my head down on silver bashing. Did reach sedges at 13m but its hard work in the wind coming back with a 2 oz roach. Most productive was left hand margin but there were late coming and sporadic.

Nige Cooke also fishing on long pole in the wind was not happy with Silvers taking his bait.

The lake has received a massive stocking of Silvers in the break which seems to have transformed its performance and delivery. The carbon crunching bruises were not playing today and notable in their absence. I lost about 4 broken hook lengths to large fish and I know John Lanelly lost as much as he weighed in so some are still in there. The stocking has however equalised the lake for results and this is supported by the very even figures shown on the results table.

Anyhow massive well done to Big Glen who won the match after sitting it out and waiting for  the carp to turn up and his last hour gave him a well-deserved victory. Well done to all section winners and those in second where 1 carp or 4 silvers could have made a difference in positions.

Massive thank you to those who supported this match as well and I hope you all agree it was good to be bankside in competition mode, and even better to see everyone safe and well and share a tale with those alongside.

Many thanks to Jasper for the pre match organisation, and running the match, well done buddy. Also Andy Waite for his help with the weighing in and development of method for single fish transfer utilising our existing kit. Thanks also to Aaron who allowed us to use nets and weigh in although several other clubs were also given the privilege as well. After all it is a business and he has other supportive clubs as well as ours. The rain and not driving  to pegs was followed across the complex so not just us.

Not sure on your thoughts on the late start or the silvers addition to the lake? How did you think the new guidelines worked regarding weighing in and the pre match and post match social distancing? I guess in the spirit of this particular legends match ( which would have been a 2 day event BBQ, copious drink and overnight stay) it was nice to be together for our first match of 2020 summer league.

The next match is summer league round 2 at Candy Corner on Hoskers, it's a few years since as a club we have been here and it looks to have been changed around slightly with the trees and shrubs on the island sporting hair cuts like one or two of our members ( me included) . Please register your interest and pay up front by the various means and hopefully see you in two weeks time.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Jlanelly

Nice wright up Leo as you say all went well for our first match sad to have Jack missing with no early morning comments and fish card, he will be missed. Let's hope the weather improves for the next outing. Congratulations to the hero of the day Big Glen.

Leo Martin

what were the other guys views on our first match back after lock down and did you go the silvers or carp route?
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

After drawing the same peg in the winter league i knew what i should have done. I should have got the maggots out and got my head down and fish for silvers...... well being an old stubborn git i decided nah! so for the first 4 hours i fished paste on 2 lines......and bomb and pellet at 20m

Both tactics were wrong.. ;D ;D from the off it was small tench, roach and ide......no matter what size lump of past i had on it went with a small fish attached on the end.....

bomb and pellet produced the same, there was a distinct lack of carp in my peg, no matter how much i fed and kept at it....Peg 40 is now known as "no carp swim"

Highlight of the day was watching John Lanelly getting on/off his box to pick up his hat.....he kept taking it off and throwing it behind him, then getting up to put it back on.... god knows why....silly man but very entertaining.
Wasn't me!

andy w8

Well after jasper and me had a forced practice as wanted to go on loco .l thought maggots for silver line and 8mm pellet on 2+2 line and a down the one edge as only had one .thoughts where to start on maggots top2 if when carp show will go on 2+2 line with 8mm pellet ,kept feeding all lines with big baits but carp not show up until last 1.5h by that Time needed to try and catch up so in with groundbait after every fish .verry snaggy margin. Had a few chucks with method but small fish had to wait for bites .things I would do different is draw a better peg like jaspers lol with 2 margins  ;D

Jlanelly

Jasper the hat kept blowing off in the gusty wind if I caught it I put it behind me until the wind eased and my head got cold so I adjusted it as tight as possible still no good it kept blowing off in the gusts. If it wasn't for the bloody hat I could off caught 10 more pounds. I had fished on the 8mm pellet but if I had 2 fish from one area the swim went dead. Had to move and feed to keep fish coming.

steve

I'll bring you a couple of galvanized nails John, they will stop it blowing off mate.