News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Summer league 2022 round 6 Wetlands Match Lake 18.6.2022

Started by Leo Martin, June 20, 2022, 21:08:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Summer league round 6 wetlands Match Lake 18.6.2022
We have been here once before and I for one was looking forward to a second visit and a rod day was on the menu. Arming myself with 8, 6 and micro pellets at a £2bag of much reduced size to our last visit I then realised that karma was delivered. After trying to wind up Malcolm about him being the only one to have a long walk to his peg, I found out that peg 17 was not where I thought and I had a bit of a walk to carry my tackle. One day I will learn to keep my mouth shut...

Wetlands match lake, almost rectangular in shape and a decent width. Peg 1 is in top left hand corner and then pegged down to 13 in corner near car park. Pegs 13 to 18 across front of car park with a short walk. Peg 19 is from café corner to the top right hand corner and no pegs across top end.   Pegs 1 to 12 and 19 onwards can park behind their pegs, others park in car park and a short walk is needed, a barrow would not be much use as whilst it's a good walkway, I don't think a barrow would work.

Peg 17 was delivered by a topless Jasper soaking up the June heat and these bottom pegs are not very wide to say the least. Perched on thin steel open mesh on wooden posts I was sure one of us would take a dip but we survived. The water at this end was also very shallow, just over 2 feet at top 2 + 4, you could get a couple of inches more at top 2 + 2. Margins from 4 inch in close, I settled on 9 inch about a yard away from bank side cover. Not much help really in the big scheme of things. There seemed to be at least a foot of water missing from our last visit and I am sure this made such a difference to how it fished. On arrival carp seemed everywhere on top of the water, they soon disappeared with a lake full of bashers and open anglers around the lake.

The weather whilst being very hot for several days leading up to Saturday had took a nose dive of about 10 degrees, bright sunshine replaced by clouds and a promise of showers also on the cards.

Neighbours today was Jasper to my right, Big Glen to my left, then Andy W8, 4 committee men all in a row and the banter flowed all day which is more than cam be said for the fish being inbound.

I set up bomb and waggler rod with a view of fishing same feed area. Chucking out the bomb it didn't take long to hit the lake bottom, it was very shallow like my pole lines. Pole fishing top 2 + 4, I tried a top 2 + 3 line and margin to my right hand side. Baits tried, hard pellets, soft pellets, washters, paste, worm and casters. Sum of my 6 hour efforts 4 skimmers for a weight of 3-2 and not a red letter day to remember. When you fed ground-bait there would be lots of fizzing in the area but the fish were very bite shy and not interested. Anyhow enough of my tales of woe, how did some other do.

Joe Martin in corner peg 13 had a quiet start then runs of decent fish from his right hand margin to amass 54-1 and a section win, well done Joe. Paul Whitehouse peg 14 managed to snare a 14lb plus carp which took him for a journey around all neighbouring pegs before finally tiring and into Pauls net. He had runs of skimmers and occasional carp on his pole lines to score second in section with 40-10.  Andy W8 had a couple on his feeder rod, decided to take a 2 hour nap and came back refreshed for a run of 3 or 4 more towards the end of his match. Andy so excited with his draw didn't get his pole out. Big Glen balanced on peg 16 fished worm most of his match to catch skimmers a rogue carp that gave itself up as soon as it was hooked he thought it was a decent skimmer. 17-12, well done Glen. Jasper also struggled but caught skimmers on his feeder rod casting to right hand margin for most success. A late margin carp help lift his weight to 10-13, ell done mate. Next along the bank was Mick Roche who had a couple on his feeder rod but spent last couple of hours fishing down his left hand margin and they eventually arrived to help him lift his weight to 23-8 for a second in section.

Young Sam who assisted Glen get his tackle to his peg had a few on rod before turning to his right hand margin. Fishing 16m I believe he had a few skimmers from the aerator before the fun started with some carp. One or two tested his tackle as he managed to play them from behind aerator and he even had a knit one pearl one session with a tree but the fish won that battle. Well done Sam on you second in match 61-5 from peg 12.

Special mention to everyone's friend Mally on his section win off peg 11 with 15-12. He had an interesting long tussle of about 15 minutes with one fish which didn't escape the eye of the whole lake. Loads of encouragement from Andy Waite, Glen, Jasper and myself to name a few willing his net below the fish and finally it succumbed to give him a well-deserved section win.

Finally well done to match winner Scott on peg 1 for his first victory with us blowing everyone away with 81-11. Well done sir. Too far for me to see how you caught, please post on forum and share.

Be interesting to see what everybody else's views are on the match, venue etc. so please share your opinions and also tactics, methods and baits etc.

Next match is back at Lindholme on Loco, an afternoon match, no poles and using rods only for some late afternoon munters. Match format agreed from a club vote so please support to give it a chance and see how it works out. Loads to confirm and pay on in a timely manner please.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

As with leo been once before had a few fish last time but not great as I remember, peg 4 which look OK like most around me but after walking down to peg 1 thought i was fishing for 2nd in section ,started on feeder long got 1 small f1 in first hour,fed bomb line from the off fished that nothing,on to pole few skimmers to be had got 6 or 7 on it thought I would stick on it,but knew peg 1 was catching as I could hear the splashing then next door got a couple of big carp on waggler so was carp or bust and I'm afraid it did not happen managed 3 all day,1 on bomb,1 up in water and 1 down the edge for 28lb thanks for coming.