News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

round 11 Grange Park new lake 19.3.2022

Started by Leo Martin, March 19, 2022, 22:40:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash Winter league 2021-2022 final match Grange Park Fisheries  "New Lake" 19.3.2022

8 winter league stalwarts fishing the last winter league match of the season and the numbers bolstered by 7 riders to make 15 in total fishing the new lake as it starts to take shape now. Overnight frost to start the day, bright sunshine and an awkward blustery cold wind but everyone grateful of the nice spring weather.

The new lake at Grange Park is now taking shape and a lot more pegs are in position. Only remaining ground works look to be the completion of the removal of the bank between the old stock pond and what was kingfisher, then the remaining pegs to add. For those who have not seen it the lake is going to be rectangular in shape with a single long central island which is the remains of the banking between Kingfisher and Heron. It also has been extended to include the stock ponds that were at the Café end of the lakes. Banks are new along with all margins so will be better when grass grows and some bankside vegetation but it is a large expanse of water now and Merrys and Osprey side banks have a lot of water to fish into. It's also been deepened as well and the bottom will improve in time as things settle down. I think the Bashers will see more of this lake in the future summer and winter months. The café breakfast was also appreciated by those who sampled and everyone complimentary of quality , service and quantity.

Friday night draw saw the wheel of fortune (with an ever turning Steve Guy central but not getting dizzy) delivered peg 19 for yours truly.  On arrival it was located on the café end bank opposite a point of the central island, lots of open water and the remains of the old bank between stock-pond and Kingfisher side of the  Lake. Lovely peg and lots of options available. Another positive was park behind your peg which will be the case for 3 sides of the lake.

Bomb rod, feeder rod with shot gun type feeder to start off with and pole lies top 2 +2 at 1oclock and a margin  to left hand side where some grasses were in the water.
I had Paul Whitehouse to my left again 2 pegs down opposite other point of island and no one to my left as Mally was hidden behind the old banking. With no vegetation everyone can see each other however with the strong blustery wind it limited the banter between Bashers as conversation was hard to hear. Best bite of the day however must go to a shirt size reference made to Indian.

All in whistle from Glen and feeder rods was choice of weapon for most. Glen also was the first to connect as he drew upon his recent experience of the fishery where he has been fishing in the absence of Bash matches. John Utting, Jasper all caught fish before Paul Whitehouse found them on his feeder and was on one a bung . Paul had a real good couple of hours before loosing them and despite connecting again later a few times never recovered his catch rate seen in the first couple of hours of the match. Still he caught more than enough to register a well eared match win off peg 17. This on the back of a 140lb win last weekend at the fishery across the road.

I struggled to catch at the start and it was 45 minutes before a crucian graced my net off my pole line, 30 minutes later a large goldfish. My feeder had been chucked all around the open water, corner of island and old the banking as well to no bites all the time. Frustrated at watching Paul I upped the feed by switching to method but still no bites all time, I did manage a small Tench on the bomb but there were no fish playing on tip rods where they should have been. I did managed a couple F1's on bomb rod with the bait where my pole lines were to give me about 5lb and over half way through the match, I was  struggling. My first small carp came on the pole line and I kept the feed going in and rotating 8mm pellet and single corn to try bring them along and finally the elastic started to get stretched out. Double corn on an 18 hook was the change I needed as fish came back to back for a while. Presentation was hard due to the wind which was blowing right to left but at least I was catching a few. 30lb 4 and with Paul winning it was second in section by default, pity the fish slept for the earlier section of the match.
Well done to Paul on winning, section winners Andy w8, Jasper and Big Glen. Great to see everyone out again and 15 happy Bashers around a lake.

Thank you to Jasper for his organisation and running he show today and whole winter league, thanks to Joe Martin on weigh in duties and Glen on whistle.

Our own Fiishfinder Steve Curtis could not be with us today as he was chasing the dream of big money at Larford in the Golden Feeder Rod final with the big boys. A great achievement and he had also with his consistent performances managed to do enough on all his other matches to secure the winter league win, well done Steve. Second was Jasper and pushing him today was Andy Waite who wet 3rd in the league on weight count back. Well done guys.

Special mention to Glen today for help and assistance to Mally and sharing his experience gained with recent visits to this venue. Great to see information and knowledge sharing with our newcomers to match fishing.

A good match today with everyone catching a few fish, the weather is now getting warmer and hopefully with the daylight extending the fish are now waking up just in time for our summer season starting. 25 anglers paid on for the summer league and the first match is not too far away 9th April on the newly renovated Bonsai. Please pay on so we can fix numbers and sort paperwork out.

Thermals away, shorts, tee shirts and sun cream out.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Thank you for the write up Leo always a good read.
Really liked this "new lake" obviously some thought has gone into it. Plenty of options and choices of sensible depths, just wish it was closer to home.

Bring on the summer! More to fishing than catching fish  ;D

jasper31

Nice write up Leo

On the wheel of doom was excited to find i was left with peg 11 - well for about 5 seconds then realised the pegs numbers have changed and i was no where near where i thought i was going to be.....balls!

The day started off with a very hearty breakfast which i must say is one of the best going in these parts. At the peg it was pleasant with a little breeze and had a simple idea of top3 plus 2 in front, top kit line and rod across. At ten o'clock when glen blew the all in god must have thought "i know i will turn up the fan a bit" as it suddenly become a strong gusterly cross wind that was bloody horrible, trying pole lines was shocking to get presentation right....so it was another day on the rod, throwing feeder everywhere and pleased with the 42lb that kept me in the running.

Well done Paul on a great display (easy when wind was off your back  ;D)

Results below
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

You throwing feeder everywhere, what's new

jasper31

Quote from: fishfinder on March 21, 2022, 22:37:49
You throwing feeder everywhere, what's new

I knew someone would take the bait... >:D >:D >:D
Wasn't me!