News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 4 Lindholme Willows

Started by Leo Martin, January 08, 2022, 23:26:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash Winter League round 4 Lindholme Willows 8.1.2022

Happy new year every one, and I would love to say let's start as we mean to carry on but don't even go there. Our own Fishfinder asked me if there would be a short write up on my match today and would it be in just three words. Sorry to disappoint Steve.

The first Big Bash match of 2022 and with 10 winter league members and 8 guests it was a fantastic turn out, thank you everyone for supporting our club. The whole lake was donated and pegs fairly well spread out. A little tight in my bay but that's life and the luck of the draw. As I saw it options were still available so crack on my son.

The weather this last week had turned yet again in our topsy turvy world from the sunshine that we were fishing in last weekend on Merrys to full winter clothing this weekend. Did the rain, sleet, snow and freezing temperatures affect the fishing today, maybe we will never know but that is why we enjoy our sport, the unknowns.

Rain was hammering down on our conservatory roof when I got up and it crossed my mind to give today a miss. I checked 3 different weather sites whilst eating breakfast, all predicted freezing cold rain and winds until early afternoon. I went to get my bait and the rain had stopped so before I changed my mind I was getting ready, soup heating up on cooker and layer after layer of clothing being put on.

Willows peg 16 was delivered from Jaspers wheel of fortune so barrow was not required. The ground underfoot was very spongy and slippy for the short walk from the road to the peg and the short hill was like an ice ring due to the mud.

Andy w8 on peg 14 point, Glen Turner behind me facing the other bay and young gun Sam to my left midway along the roadside bank, no one on the opposite bank to my peg. I think the roadside peg confused our pegging this time.

Peg 16 had a new small outcrop of sedges to my right between 16 and peg 15 easily reached on top 2 + 4, this was to be my focus with only concern holding pole in the head on awkward wind. Other lines would be top 2 + 4 in front, and in front of the sedges to my right, top 2 + 3. Bomb rod and feeder for when weather got too bad to hold pole.
All in shouted at 10:00 and pole went out, whistle gratefully went at 3pm and packed up. All permutations of baits tried and tested and none worked. Numerous lines tried and tested and none worked, Biteless, did not weigh and water licked.

First fish caught Steve Curtis on his point peg, Young Sam was playing catch and release from the point of sedges to his left, 3 let go before one graced his net. He caught a few from this same area but long gaps in between with a nice chunk near end of match. One on his feeder I think, well done Sam.

Glen was catching his fish from "inside the sedges" to his left and also lost a few. Andy W8 on point caught most of his on his pole fishing out in front. His best comment of the day was when the wind turned direction the fish stopped feeding! He then decided to catch a great crested grebe that gave him a better fight and resulted in lots of entertainment and banter for all around. The grebe in his landing net did not give in easy and Andy extremely nervous of the birds sharp beak. It must have taken 10 minutes to free it but off it went to its friends.
Kev Indian managed to snare a few on bomb chucked t the Laurels bank well done Kev and he was also sending the lovely smell of his cigar smoke across my way, love that smell.
We did have a second duck catcher who may have thought he got away with it, Keith TT Smith had one on his feeder rod but as he wound it closer the duck managed to free itself to avoid human contact.

We did have a few hours of rain in the match, the wind from being head on turned to come off the laurels bank, the sun came out at 2pm and the water surface was mirror calm at this point as well.

Well done to Jasper on winning the match 19-11, well done to section winners an second in sections including Big Glen who won on a bingo call.

Thank you to Jasper for the organisation and running the show, thanks to Steve for weighing in the few nets again, no back ache tonight mate.

Massive congratulations to everyone turning up and sticking it out to the bitter end. Special mention, Big Glen, Steak, Gav Cooper, John Utting and Big Mark who join yours truly in the bite less, fishless DNW club. That's winter fishing folks and such a difference from last Saturday when there were plenty of bites and fish all round. Another day, another dollar.

Next winter league match 22nd January Grange Park, some guys still to confirm and pay on, reserves waiting.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Another in depth and good write up Leo,was a dissapointing day for most but its been fishing very hard and I did not expect much.Peg 48 for me which had shown little form of late but looked good in the bay with peg 9 and 12 which had been ok,rigged bomb,method and maggot feeder up and pole 11m in 2 areas,started on bomb and corn and got an f1 after 10 minutes then another 10 minutes later thoughts of a good day soon faded as an hour later nothing else,could see everyone struggling especially those in first bay where none of the 3 had had a bite,tried pole with maggots and bread nothing,back on bomb and then method nothing,Andy waite to my right was getting a few on pole and maggot and the 2 in my bay had 1 each,chucked maggot feeder out and got 3 f1s in,the next 40 minutes then nothing again,changed swim and tried pole again nothing ,Andy had 8 f1s but now his swims had died,peg 12 had a few in last hour and I had 3 more f1s on maggot feeder in last hour, finished with 9 f1s for 18lb which was good enough for 2nd,felt for those who were biteless,it was bad enough getting 10 bites in 5 hours never mind none.

jasper31

excellent Leo / Steve

My day started off with young Sam ripping me for not having a brolly, but with wind off my back i was ok with the weather....at least it wasn't frozen.

After chatting to Alex he said start with bread near the reeds to my right as it always holds fish....erm! yeah right. After 30 minutes and not a twitch i move to the bowl in front of me. First cast in on bread and i get a liner but after 10 minutes no bite materialised. i switched to corn and after only a couple of minutes i got my first F1.... i stuck with this plan for the first few hours alternating between bread and corn and managed a few F1's. This soon dried up so after priming other areas of the swim i went looking for them, i did manage to grab a couple more but nothing really. A switch to a small method produced a lonely skimmer and a sad looking F1. For last hour i switched to corn and slung it around the peg and with 3 minutes to go got my biggest F1 of about 3 pounds which i think was the match winner looking at the weights (sorry Steve  >:D)

I thought others would have caught a few more, not sure the extra fish put in my end and the top end would have helped as the disturbance is too much at this time of year. Shocked to see top end with room and 3 good anglers on never got a bite!!  :o :o

Result sheet below
Wasn't me!