Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2nd October Summer League round 14 Sykehouse match lake

Started by Leo Martin, October 03, 2021, 08:45:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash summer league round 14  Sykehouse Match Lake 2nd October 2021

Not wrote one of these for a while.

Round 14 of the "Summer league" saw the basher visit Sykehouse for the second time in the year. Not a lot changed, it was another wet one.
The extended summer league continues and the full match allocation supports the decision made for the number of matches booked. Exceptional turn out of members and supporting guests where watching the list has some very regular names amongst it week in week out. The club must be doing something right and its members welcoming and warm interactions on match days a credit to you all.

Anyhow Friday night live draw handed me a good peg in 22 all on my lonesome. I did find I had a great crested Grebe for company who entertained me with his catch rate and diving skills. Not to outdo our own Keith Smith who is now challenging Big Glen for splash of the year. Hope you are okay mate and didn't loose too much gear Some platforms leave a little to be desired and should be upgraded to like those like on the other lake we fished. The rules state fish from platforms, well they should be fishable or at least inform match secretaries they are out of use.

Weather was cool, a cold breeze, cloudy and overcast with continuous rain forecast. It arrived at 12:00 and stopped at 16:30 persisting all afternoon. Got there early to secure a car parking place, (always premium at Sykehouse). The carpark was full as Bashers had their fill of breakfast offerings, sorry for not joining guys confines of a cafe not on my radar currently. Barrow set up and push to my peg along the grass pathway.

Loads of room, bomb. Feeder chuck alongside the treeline to my left and just before the corner is a cleared out section and some sedges which was my main area supported by pre match chats from Indian and Steve Curtis. Also margin lines and top 2+2 pole rigs set up.

Not sure if Glen needs a new pea but I didn't hear his whistle so relied upon seeing others chuck out. Spent an hour on bomb and feeder for 1 liner, had a look at top 2 plus 2 and a 3lb carp. Back on bomb and feeders again to no avail. The rain came and my plan always was brolly up as I didn't watch to take home a cold so it was pole rest of match.

Top 2 + 2 at about 8 feet deep, pellet line at 12:00 and corn at 2 oclock, corn was where I got some bites. Almost considered the maggot and silvers route as bites were long time coming and hard to hit. I had gone light on elastic learning from last time which was to prove very testing when I did connect. I fed my margins early as well in the hope of something, corn left hand side, groundbait and dead right hand side.

Rotating through lines and the bites came steadily and also the hard fighting fish who tested my margin pole. Also several casualties of broken hook lengths which must have totalled 8 during the day. 3pm is was a hectic 30 minutes with about 5 fish gracing my net, then they left again with only about 3 more to the end of the match.

Corn most productive bait, some early on a bunch of dead reds, right hand margin most productive. One lost fish form left hand side, a few on top 2 + 2 again on corn. Nothing on pellets at all be them red, natural or a choice of colours and wafters out of various jars.

Good to be back out again, the cool fresh air took its toll last night as I slept like a baby lol.

Well done to young gun Sam once again on another match clear win. You will have to start sharing your secrets with us oldies. Well done to all section winners and seconds and thank you to everyone sticking it out to the end in the cold rainy conditions. The guys on the lake behind us were leaving very early from their match.

Special thanks to Jasper for his continued organisation skills, ad also Steve Curtis on the weighing in duties. Glen with fish in his net did retrieve his pea as I heard the end of match whistle, cheers pal, I could have done with a little longer.

Next match Merrys and Steve is trying to make arrangements to spread the pegging a little more on the complex. Good luck I hope it comes off.

Please read and comment on the AGM posts on the forum and also your membership intentions for 2022. This is really important to know before the AGM regarding match bookings and club numbers.

Good to be back out again, thank you for your kind and supportive words and hopefully see you on the next one.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Peg 29 for me a good area but tight pegged today in the 20s,struggled with casting from trees intruding from both sides,casting was erratic at best.started on bomb for an hour,method short nothing, sat watching kev on peg 30 catching a few as well as loosing a few,could see Glen and Andy on pegs 1 and 2 catching odd ones,2hrs + gone not a sign,not even a liner,decided to chuck method and sit on it,at 12.45 got my first pull a 7lber,stuck on feeder had to wait a long time between bites but caught an odd one ,did not seem much was being caught in my section, Andy was getting an odd one and kev on peg 30 had slowed so stuck it out,chucking tight when I could did not seem to make a difference so wherever it landed I left it,finished with 7 carp only had 7 bites and was pleased to land them all,were a decent  stamp and went 50lb which was enough to win section which had it not been for lost fish on peg 30 I would have been well beaten. Well done to Sam on peg 23 a cracking margin peg but you still have to catch them,this time of year ponds  become a bit peggy but that's fishing you have to do your best from where you draw,well done to all who stuck it out for few bites and lousy conditions.

Indian

Great write up leo and Steve great to see you back Leo ;D

jasper31

Wasn't me!