News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

16.October Merrys and Kingfisher

Started by Leo Martin, October 17, 2021, 13:35:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash AC Summer league round 15 Grange Park Merrys & Kingfisher 16.10.2021

With another summer league the season drawing to close the penultimate match was to be on Merrys but in order to give a more "even" match Steve Curtis was able to negotiate a split match between Merrys and Kingfisher.

Also with 8 members deciding to sit it out then to have a full 20 peg match is a testament to our club and how far it has travelled that we were able to be supported by so many guests wishing to fish with us. One of our regular supports Phil Codlin even went on to take the match win which I believe has has done so previously, well done sir.

Friday night draw handed me peg 27 which is a good draw and I must say it didn't take me long to ruin things. Feeder chucking to the left of the small island quickly resulted in Carp 5 Leo 2 with a couple of hook length breakages and hook pull outs, Doh. I upped the hook size from 18 to 14 which had a major negative effect and no bites kept coming. The fish after 11:30 ish seemed to move away with only one more fish from this area. No bites at all casting across to the main island on bomb of feeder which was strange. Pole lines to right in front of sedges gave only a couple of small skimmers. Top 2+2 at 10 o'clock in 7 foot of water skimmers on really timid bites. My margin to the left towards the overhanging tree I started to feed at lunch time and went across around 1pm for skimmer and some chub. The carp arrived around 2pm for a long afternoon battle. Dead reds and corn the best baits and my elastic was being stretched and again quite a few lost fish. I need to practise and check out my set up much more me thinks.

On the weigh in I was surprised to be about 15 pounds lighter than I had estimated, need to calibrate my internal weigh scales as well. At the end of the day I enjoyed the day out again and had some good sport on a nice autumn day following the first overnight frost.
Good banter with Foxy to my left and even across the full lake to John Utting, Steve Guy and Mr Lanelly opposite.
Dave Fox sitting where Glen fished the open last week had a productive day on feeder to island but his best spell was in his margins alternating left and right. The hectic activity even made him have some of his giant bait box left. Scott Barker to my right caught on top 2 + 2 in front and on his feeder to the small island, well done sir.
Across the lake john caught a couple on tip rod but mostly on his pole lines. Mick Roche on pole lines , Indian on Pole lines out in front and a fe on his tip rod. Steve Guy made a decisive shift onto his waggler rod and set off like a train with consecutive casts and fish, nice to see this method used. Sam caught the first fish on the lake then struggled for a lo g period before plundering his margins to come back strongly. The clubs "dark horse" John Utting who is having another great season had a very quiet first half of the match before coming good as always towards the end.

Kingfisher seemed to have fished as expected very very well and a special mention to Mark Radford on his first ton, bragging rights as well over son Sam this weekend.
Merrys with a few spaces between the pegs also fished very well, congrads to Max winning the lake and some very respectable back up weights all the way around as other fisheries struggled after the first frost of the year.

Well done to Codders on match win, also section and second in section winners.

For me a measure of a match is has everyone caught something and had some sport and i think Grange Park delivered on both counts today.

Thank you to Jasper for running the show and organising the match for our enjoyment. Special thanks to Steve for setting up both lakes and weighing in duties once again. Well done to Foxy for the time keeping.

Last match of the season in two weeks time on First spring at Springvale which is throwing to good weights currently and is a very popular venue. Please book on as we have guests waiting and can maybe increase pegging numbers.

Please post your reports of the day, it is always good for those who were unable to attend and helps match organisers in future selections.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Indian

Peg 10 merrys set up bomb method feeder not used and 3 pole rigs a margin rig  no bites on this top 2+2at 11oclock banded pellet top 2+2 at 2 oclock for soft pellet and corn started on 8m banded pellet caught quite well for a while then bites became slow so rested line and went on bomb and 8m pellet for 3 fish then nothing  back to 11 oclock and 8m and they were back for a while then went iffy silly bites  so tried  2 oclock with 8m exspander for a few then that went iffy so tried margin for 15 mins no indication  so back to 11 oclock with 6m pellet they were back then went with about 40 mins left so tried corn over 6m at 2 oclock for another 5 fish depth at 2+2 was about 7ft

fishfinder

Peg 16 for me on merrys a cracking summer peg but can be very ordinary when it gets colder,max on 17,normally both don't fish well,was hoping it was 16 but didn't take long to find out which was fishing I could not buy a bite and max was catching steadily. Had a few on feeder but could not catch on pole 4 sections,top 2 or down the edge,kept trying feeder and getting an odd one,lost 4 at the net.With half hour to go went down the edge got my first bite just about to net it and thought it had pulled out only to find my stoneflo had cracked and come apart losing rig, so not good,finished on tip and had a couple more to finish with a very average 70lb and took a good drubbing off max who fished a cracking match to win the lake,pleased most had a few fish despite the frost.

jasper31

When i was drawn on Kingfisher i was slightly disappointed as not fished Merry's that much.

Peg 14 for the day and with no one on the other bank i started off fishing across on small feeder. Hitting the far bank the method was only in the water seconds before fish on....catching everything really with carp, tench, goldfish and even large ide (surprised with them)
Looking at codders in hot peg 11 i knew i wouldn't compete with him starting to catch short, so i came in to fish margins left and right and this is where i spent the rest of the match alternating both sides but having to feed heavily to keep them spooking off. Catching on various baits corn, worm, maggots pellets....i was surprised i had 160lb but very pleased with that...

Result sheet below
Wasn't me!