Main Menu

F & F Results Sheet

Started by jasper31, December 20, 2021, 15:28:41

Previous topic - Next topic

jasper31

Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Big Bash Fur and Feather 2021 Lindholme Bonsai 18.12.2021
Well after another strange year I suppose we got there in the end. Covid has left its mark on our season but with everyone following the guidelines we got there in the end and then transferred to the winter league which is ongoing. This year's Fur and Feather was held later than normal in a more traditional time of 18th December and Lindholme was to be the venue, Bonsai Lake which has not been fishing its best if we are honest. We were allotted the lake outer and although spare pegs were available it looked like the fishing was to be difficult. Flat calm, foggy after some frost the days prior, damp and very little fish activity showing.
The Bashers however turned out in their numbers with nice to see our Summer league guys in attendance alongside the winter faithful and a couple of regular guests. 20 in total into the draw bag for a Jasper Xmas drink fuelled Friday night draw and the wheel of "fortune or death" dealt yours truly peg 33 which I am not sure is labelled Naughty boys or dead mans corner. 2 pegs up from our last match where 4 bites gave me 2 fish so to say I was overjoyed is an understatement. It was also where Smiler recorded a DNW so I quickly sought his advice. Paul did stop and guaranteed he had caught small F1's and lost a large carp that lived below the tree to my left where he assured me they shoaled up. Guess what Paul, they look to have moved on and not left a forwarding address.....
Bomb rod, feeder rod, & pole lines at 2+4 were set up. All in whistle from Glen and then something really strange occurred. A very loud crackling music could be heard from the vicinity of my car? How's that come about? I don't recognise that tune on my play lists? It's not my car alarm? What the hell's going off? All these thoughts as the music / noise were getting louder and clearer. Then the penny dropped. The crackling noise / music was the Captain Pugwash theme tune and its source was a remote music box below my car boot. Well with me not being as athletic, mobile and agile as a couple of years ago and the floor below my boots being muddy and slippy I declined the urge to dance the sailor's hornpipe and quickly sought to switch the box off. A grinning "Tackletart" then quickly appeared to retrieve his equipment and go back to his peg to commence fishing. Brilliant joke, loved it up there with Steve Guy's pranks and yes I did learn he had a hand in it as well.
From that point the day slowly declined and went downhill. A flock of mixed blue, great and longtail tits paid a visit searching the tree next door for insects but they soon flew away leaving a sole tit on his box searching for a fish. I must say improvements on the last visit were clearly seen with 8 bites, 4F1's and 2 skimmers for 6lb 6oz so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. 1 F1 and 1 skimmer on double maggot on my pole line, 1 F1 on corn on the bomb and 3 x F1's on shotgun feeder and 5mm yellow speedy washter.
First match fish of the day was an approx. 8lb lump to New Basher Maclolm who swiftly went on to lead the match, well done that man.
Paul Whitehouse and Keith TT Smith fished the match side by side alternating long pole and rods to catch steady throughout the day, Keith coming out on top in this match, well done guys. Kevin "Indian" Webster my colleague assigned to naughty boy corner on peg 31 was also struggling throughout the match and alternating methods and lines. He finally found a few in his last hour on corn and bomb to the island and managed to almost catch Paul Whitehouse to his left but lost out by 2oz. Close but no cigar this time my friend.
Well done to Match winner Steak fishing as guest again with 19-4, well done to all section and 2nd in section winners. The match did turn out to be a very close run affair with ounces separating many of our anglers who had weights in the low teens
Once again special thanks to commander in chief Jasper for running the show, thank you Lewis for helping weighing in and Glenn for his trusty whistle.
Finally as we move towards the festive season best wishes to you all, and here is wishing a healthy and happy new year in 2022 to you and you families.
For those who require some fresh air and excitement on New Years Eve there is a knock up at Messingham Grange and the next winter league match is on January 8th on Lindholme Willows Lake. Confirmations required and pegging fees to pay, reserves waiting.
Stay safe everyone

Coem on guys, how did your day go, tactics, bait, methods used?
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Drawing the same peg as the first winter league match wasn't ideal. I knew the lake has been in poor form for a couple of months now and with my draw i was looking at a very hard day.

Peg 16 - what can you say? not a great deal of room due to island in front and with 19 in he commands the end of the island so a spare peg to my left but with John Utting in 14 i feared the worst. Last time i had this peg i weighed in 9lb so that was my target.

I fed 4 golf ball sized balls of ground bait at 6m laced with casters and decided i would leave that line till late on in the match. Went out to 14m where i fed one nugget of ground bait and only a pinch of red maggots. Took a while but i was getting small skimmers on this line but the bites were very delicate. After an hour n half i needed a drink so slung out bomb n corn rod and had a brew, just as i finished a drop back and small F1 was landed. Only problem, now i caught one i thought there might have been a couple about so tried it too many times with no reward.

Feeding maggots with a catty over the long line was still producing small skimmers with the odd larger one and a few roach, ide thrown in. With a couple of hours left i tried my short line and was surprised to get 3 large perch straight away, but nothing after that.

I fed an edge line with half a pot of maggots and a nugget of ground bait and started fishing that for the last hour. I had a few small roach, a perch and then another large perch and that was the end of that.

15lb something on the scale and knew i had worked hard for them. rotating lines and keeping the small fish coming with the odd large perch really helped. Not the best weight but really enjoyed it and fishing long pole was ok as wind is normally i nightmare at Lindholme.
Wasn't me!