Main Menu

Springvale - Newcastle

Started by jasper31, April 24, 2021, 20:28:58

Previous topic - Next topic

jasper31

Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Big Bash 2021 Summer league round 3 Springvale Newcastle Lake 24.4.2021
20 Bashers visited Springvale for round 3 of the summer league. This fishery rapidly becoming one of the group's favourites due it being well run, well presented, car access to every peg and bites a plenty to be had. Newcastle Lake this time, a new one for us and rammed full of smaller fish of many varieties. A long rectangular lake, 25 pegs down each side, approx. 25m chuck to a series of long narrow islands which split the lake in half. Good clean roadway access down each side but not as yet joined up at the bottom end however a turning area allows you to spin round. With depth approx. 4 feet at 2+2 and gradually getting deeper the further you go out there is plenty of water to go at. The banks and margins are still raw as the lake has still to establish itself and with close pegging today although about 10m apart today they did not offer much of an option unless on end pegs.
There would be a lot of pressure on the lake with 20 bashers and a similar number on opposite side as 2 other matches were on that bank.
Peg 5 home office for the day Smiler to my left, John Lanelly on peg 6 and Steve Guy on 7 who was on a raised wager of £2 with Smiler the competition was to be fierce.
2+ 2 line for silvers on deck, carp line on deck and shallow lines. If needed they would be adjusted to follow the fish out if required. Also method set up to chuck across to island and gap between 2 islands in front of me.
All in started and I chose pole as John and Paul chucked across to the island. I think I had 3 small fish in the net before John and Paul came off their feeder rods to the pole. I was on top 2 + 2 and the bites were coming quick however it must be mentioned the stamp of fish were very small, 3 inch olive Tench the tiniest and how they got 4 maggots in their mouth is amazing. I stayed on top 2 + 2 most of my match and the fish came and went in unexplained spells. Most of my fish came to double / treble maggots, some of the better stamp came to corn, nothing on pellet. The swim was supplemented by very wet groundbait. 
The fish varieties were also a plenty, Tench 3 to 8 inch, small skimmers, Ide to 12 inch, Barbel to 12 inch, Roach, hybrids, F1's, Crucians, and small carp , I think my largest was about 2lb. When they grow and put weight on the weights from this lake will be incredible.
Mark on peg one tried and tried to locate the resident carp and finally they turned up on his Margin line down to peg 2 about 1pm where he managed to put several runs of small carp together. He also suffered from catching a  few and then they would move off.
Smiler caught most of his fish on his pole lines, a couple on his feeder. He did spend a lot of time educating yours truly on USA politics, Russian politics, North Korea Politics, Moon and Mars landings, various conspiracies' to name a few. Also we had a repertoire of the Steve Guy tricks and jokes that have been played. No wonder he needs counselling and medical help.
Johns pole lines topped up his nets and came to the rescue as his plan A of feeder chucked across did not work. Again John suffered from the fish coming and going throughout the match. John had a visit from a pretty chaffinch which chirped and tweeted until some offerings were chucked in its direction when it promptly shut up and scoffed the lot.
Steve Guy stayed on his pole line and did what Steve does best. Head down and silver bashing throughout the match. I must say he did stretch his legs to borrow Smilers 3rd net and put poor Paul under more pressure thinking he was on 4 nets.
Anyhow whistle blown, 80 fish for 31-10 and second in section, thank you.
Well done to Steve Curtis on smashing everyone with 80-2, well done to all other packet pickers.
Thank you once again to Jasper in the organising, Steve for the weighing in and Glen for tooting his whistle.
Looking down the score sheet it has thrown out some very fair section weights and everyone has caught a few. What are your views on the match, and your bait and tactics you used?
Next match is on the prolific Sykehouse Stocklake which I think will chuck up some surprises as it offers a different experience to today's venue. Please ensure you confirm and pay on in time as we have reserves waiting
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

"What are your views on the match, and your bait and tactics you used?"

I really enjoy busy fishing so I love Springvale. Nice change from the carp dominated places. Very fair venue, comfortable pegs, although I thought that by Springvale standards they were a bit close, parking behind and everyone catches.  What more do we want.

Looking at previous match results I didn't think it would take much to be in with a chance, but I thought Steve's weight was exceptional. Top angler!

I started on a full depth rig with 10's and 11's spread. Dropping through with red maggot on the hook feeding white. Bites came initially at full depth from a mix of small fish. Once the bite became a bit iffy I came up 4 inches and started catching until the became iffy again. Then moved onto a shallower rig. I had to keep changing depths all day. The slightly bigger Ide came at 18 inches just past the constant feed area. Couldn't get anything to come closer than 2+3.

Also fed a pellet line but had to wait a while here for bites from small carp. Stayed on this line too long, probably cost me about 5lb of bits. Didn't see any movement down the edge, despite feeding it throughout.

Enjoyable fishing, it didn't snow or blow a gale and Smiler suggested we doubled our side bet, happy days!!

Bigrad

1st time I had fished this venue, really enjoyed the day and company. Thanks all for making me and Sam feel welcome ! 😊

jasper31

Well as always i was last on the wheel of fame and end peg 22 was my home for the day and in the section of death with 4 other very good anglers in...Zak, Andy W8, Glen and Mick Roche.

When i got there i had a game plan and it was shit or bust with Carp. Sit and wait hoping to get a few of the bigger boys. I started off by putting in a pot of 4mm's on my short line and spent an hour on feeder across. This resulted in one very small carp and 2 ide - i even went up to 9mm washter and still got annoyed with ide. Zak was catching regularly. After an hour i said to myself stop being so stubborn so decided to come on my short line. Feeding micros on deck i was getting small Tench and what a bugger to unhook slippery little bleeders.
I then brought out my shallow rig and started feeding heavily with maggots, after 5 minutes the ide turned up and i was catching well with some of the bigger ones making an appearance but mainly 4-6 oz fish. When the wind got up it became a nightmare to feed accurately and this led to bites trailing off and having to wait longer than normal.
With 2 hrs to go i got my carp head back on and put in 6 large cups of ground bait next to platform on my right (luckily got a spare peg) then 10 minutes later on double corn - Carp no.1 around the 1lb mark. That was it then - i stayed on it rest of match either fishing half a lob worm or corn on hook and feeding as much as i could. The ide only came when the food was gone and that told me to feed more.... all the time Zak was working hard to keeping his shallow line working and he never stopped.
At the scale i had 22lb of bits and 30lb of carp, which was just enough to pip Zak for the section who had 50lb.
Not sure i want to visit it again for at least a few more years, but that's the variety we have in the club. 
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Not seen this lake before, was told its maggot and silvers,some carp but not large.Looked very cosy pegs a bit tight about 8m max.Made my mind up to fish for carp all day,did not take maggots,was to be pellet and paste on pole and method across. Started on feeder across was in middle of the island and had a bit of a far bank clear spot,success early had a few small carp about 1 - 2lb then died,tried pole and paste 2 small carp then nothing, soft pellet  but only small fish so up the bank with that,max to my right did the same but john utting to my left was getting a fish a chuck on maggot then some better ones on corn, with 4 hours gone I would think john was about level with me but then had a good hour between 2 and 3 o'clock had 4 better carp to about 4lb then steady last hour.Did not fish a very good match as I lost 14 carp several on a branch or line sticking put from  far bank,3 I had dangling from it which did not help,very pleased to win as I was expecting a silver fish battering.