News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

lockdown topics

Started by Leo Martin, January 17, 2021, 16:16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

So we are almost a week into the latest lockdown and loads of different views on travelling to fish and "local".

what fisheries are within a 5 mile radius of your location??
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

"local". Dearne and Dove canal, very close. Good bread punch fishing. River Dearne, planned to fish it this winter regardless of travel restrictions. Hoping for a few chub. Elsecar Res', hard work in winter. Lowfield lakes, mixed fishery, plenty of ide, ten minutes drive. Barnburgh lakes, mainly F1's. Hook a duck fishing in summer, always a few bites in winter and bonus - no mud!
I've not fished for a month!! How many anglers are actually able to fish given the current weather and how many are genuinely keeping "local"?

Leo Martin

Looked at smithies yesterday, banks are steeper than Messingham Gange and Sands so parked that idea.
Ancholme had been pulled off must have lost 3 feet of water, very heavily coloured not too inviting either.
Guess there wont be many cobwebs to dust off tackle due to cold weather.
More "rest" for the old leg I'm afraid less risky currently.

jasper31

Living in the isle i'm surrounded by loads:

Owston Ferry Fisheries
Fourways
Bank End
Candy Corner
Torne bank
Oak tree
Lindholme
Tyram

Just to name a fee commercials

Had a good day yesterday at Lindholme - most lakes were covered with ice but managed a peg near the shop (aerator was on) just fished rod all day with Bread, corn and maggot - caught F1's and carp but never got a silver fish all day, yet Big Glenn in next peg had roach, skimmers, chubb,  F1's and carp...strange.
Wasn't me!

steve

You're fortunate to have such a choice of decent commercials locally. Would love a dabble at Lindholme but at 33 miles away I wouldn't be able to justify it as a necessary journey  :(

Leo Martin

I think fortunate is an understatement

jasper31

anyone venturing out this weekend?
Wasn't me!

steve

I fancied a dabble on the Dearne but it's very high and colourful so will be having a bash at Barnburgh.

Leo Martin

Tight lines Steve, let us know how you go on please

steve

Going on Monday, with Smiler, Foxy and John U. Should be entertaining  ;D

Leo Martin

Wow Steve , triple carers allowance in one day, you be careful mate

steve

😁😁😁
First time out this year for us all. Foxy has a new two grand pole he can't wait to use, me and John have new gear to try and Smiler has a maggot from last year that he's determined to use.

Leo Martin

:D :D :D great to see you all getting out and fresh air in your lungs . Enjoy boys, tight lines to you all.

jasper31

Steve - Lets us know how you get on buddy.

Poor old Smiler - his one and only maggot - good job he never catches anything or he would loose that too.... ;D ;D ;D
Wasn't me!

steve

BAD NEWS!! Smiler caught a greedy little perch and that was it for his maggot, shame really they had become quite attached.

Ice on most of the pegs limited our choice of pond, it had to be the middle one that had one bank clear, although it meant that we were pegged next to each other without much room between us, handy for conversation though.

Smiler had his little perch. John had a pleasant day "nice to get out". I had one F1 and a skimmer on 4mm bread punch, Foxey basking in the sun drenched end peg christened his new pole with a couple of F1's, a skimmer and the ever reliable winter fish - a rudd! All on bread. Two others on the same bank didn't have a bite.   

Still it was "nice to get out"!!   ;D ;D ;D