Big Bash winter league round 2 Springvale first spring lake 19.12.2020

Started by Leo Martin, December 20, 2020, 17:53:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash 2020 Winter League round 2 Spring Vale First Spring lake

Managed to jump on as rider on the 2nd winter league match of 2020-2021 season at Springvale lakes and on First Spring Lake. This lake is the first on your left as you arrive on the complex just past the cabin and over the bridge. It had been mixed in its results this last week with a ton weight last weekend and then really low weights on a mid week match.
A long rectangular lake, 27 pegs placed on the long sides. Depths 4 feet peg 1 end to maybe 6 feet opposite end, park behind your pegs off a decent road and with about 10m between each peg. Due to the ever so slow mending of my left leg, this will probably be my only option for some time to come as its flat and short walk to my car so happy days.

The Friday night Covid Safe face book draw very efficiently run and watched  by many. Must say slight disappointment Jasper wasn't wearing his green and Yellow Paddy Power Y fronts but I suppose the sight would have scared and mentally damaged poor Buster the Staffy.

We had the early pegs which had the wind from our backs but there were numerous fish showing on the opposite bank so maybe that side could have given better results? That's angling and fishermen for you, excuses and reasons before we start. Peg 8 was my office for the day, Woolfy on peg 6,  Paul Whitehouse on favoured peg 7 to my left and young gun Conlan Wilson on peg 9 as he switches between disciplines of match angling and the dark side also hot in form from his section win at Grange Park.

Set up today was top 2 + 4 line, one pellet , one maggot, a short margin, cold weather but you never know, and the feeder rods set one x Bomb and one with cage feeder later changed to method.

Before the all in it was good to catch up with Indian, John Utting and Steve Guy esq. who visited my peg to have a chat.  I missed the fur and feather and can't remember when the last time this was as this is a very social club and we are missing the interaction we have. A good chat, catch up and laugh as always and this is the best medicine you can wish for in the strange times we currently reside in.

Glen rudely interrupted my chat with Steve with his whistle so it was quickly back to the order of the day and main course the fishing and see if there were any of these topping fish willing to enjoy my offerings.
Bomb our first with a chuck right across as the opposite pegs were vacant. This then went to cage feeder which was pursued for over an hour to no avail, not even a liner. Conrad was on his pole line and caught a small silver fish but was onto his method feeder and started to catch Ide then carp.

I had a look on my pole line but it was iffy bites and these turned out to be 3 inch skimmers and small Ide.

Conlan had now found carp to replace his Ide on his method feeder and was one a chuck stage. Do I go the silver route or try see if carp will take my feeder the little voices in my head were fighting each other.

I spent the next few hours rotating lines, baits and anything else I could think of ( phone calls, eating my snap, having a drink) but the carp or even Ide were not interested in anything I chucked across to them. I tried also change cage to method feeder but no joy. 14:20 my maggot line was being tried and the float slipped away and the light elastic streamed out as the fish went to the what seemed the opposite side. 5 minutes later after being led a merry dance a 6lb carp was in the net.  Back in and the float slipped away again and light elastic pulled even further for a 9lber. Conlan watch and learn lad. Spoke to soon I was still about 40 pound behind him and I never had another bite as he continued to sit on his hands and wait whilst the feeder tip wound round AGAIN.

Paul on peg 7 had had mixed fortunes with spells of fish and lean spells. His carp came from chucking long with one I think part the way across. Woolfy had found his fish on feeder from part way across but it was still a case of searching and changing swims. Woolfy also taking advantage of his recent lesson with Alex at Lindholme to try a different tactic and it paid benefits, I think it was the use of a Guru hybrid he was using to bring a smile and section win.

Conlan stuck to his guns all match once he found where the fish were holed up he was relentless. Method chuck across and he says a hard pellet as his bait. He had Ide and carp from across and from times of one a chuck to some gaps in his bites he was very consistent in his approach and filling his keep nets up. Nice to see a young lad taking up our sport and also he is pretty dam good at it as well.  Fishing being a strange sport I tried the kitchen sink and about everything chucked across and only has one liner. Hey ho.

Peg 1 Glen            33-1 Section win
Peg 2 John Lanelly        23-4
Peg 3 Indian             21-3
Peg 4 John Utting         dnw
Peg 5 Steve Curtis         31-14
Peg 6 Woolfy          34-14 section win
Peg 7 Paul Whitehouse      21-6
Peg 8 Leo                 16-0
Peg 9 conlan Wilson       57-0 match win
Peg 10 Gavin Cooper      52-3     2nd in match
Pwg 11 Jasper          10-15
Peg 12 Steve Guy       24-7 (All silvers) section win

With Steve Curtis assisting the lovely Sue on the weigh in the scores on the doors recorded by Jasper. Steve Guy had made his choice, got his head down and caught silvers all day for his section win. Well done Steve. Gavin had found his fish from fishing very close in with a depth of 18inch to come second in the match.

Thank you Jasper for the running and organising of the match, Steve Curtis for the weighing in and Glen on his ever trusty whistle.

How did you approach and fish this match, what worked and what did you try?

That's the last report from this "lad" here in 2020 and looking forward to 2021 writing some more and sharing memories with all my friends in the Big Bash Angling Club.

Merry Xmas and a healthy and happy new year to you all.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

kiwi

Looks like conlan need to give his old man some lessons on the heart of fishing >:D

steve

Nice write up Leo. Always enjoy your accounts, much appreciated.

Well done Conlan, hammered your old man on the next peg! I don't think he'll lend you that rod again 😁

Great winter venue!
Head down and maggots for me, constantly changing depths as dictated by the bites. Had an hour on waggler, bomb, feeder, with no signs and with the big fish expert on the next peg struggling I decided to have a very pleasant day on silvers.
Merry Christmas 🎄🎅

jasper31

Wasn't me!

kiwi

Steve  Jasper should give him the rod makes better use of it then his old man