Loversall lakes x 1
Springvale x 4

Any more out?

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Steve, Smiler, john and Foxy are at Hayfield
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Big Bash AC spread around like sheep in a field :) :)

jasper31

Easier to catch than fish in a barrel
Wasn't me!

steve

jasper31

Plenty of bites really, lots of chub and ide caught and when bored of them went on method for a few carp. Good day with the old crew.....
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

SpringVale 7.11.2020

A sharp frost had settled on the car leaving my windows frozen as I finished loading for the drive to Springvale. The A15 was shrouded in a low mist and in places fog and great to be behind a lorry for most of the way. An incoming call from Mike as I approached Scampton "where are you? its filling up". We'll try save you a peg but cant promise. Oh dear thinks me.

Turning in to Springvale and following Mikes instructions look out for Captain Toms sentry hut  and low and behold there is a very modern sentry hut indeed and COVID friendly ad safe entrance to the site. Lovely greeting from Owner Sue " hello, Leo how are you doing" the rest of the lads have already gone in front  :).  £6.00 pegging fee, couple of bags of pellets and a landing net hung over my mirror for the sort journey to Oak Avenue and off o the nice firm and level roads I go. Yes cars both sides of the lake and most pegs taken but there are the guys, Andy Woolfall, Big Glen as group of 2, Peg 8 for Leo and Mike Dodd as a pair of two and Indian and Jasper as Billy no mates on opposite bank which I'm guessing is peg 11.

Pleasure fishing day in the cold, mist and fog. No match fishing buzz of pressure but we shouldn't complain, we are in the fresh air and able to practise our sport and also have a crack with our good friends. Beats playing with a small brush and the Dulux dog.
Good chat and catch up with everyone, no rush today to set up. Quick discussion of tactics from venue expert and local lad Mike Dodd. Quite a few fish topping on surface so hopes were raised and the 3+ pints of maggots were wriggling in hope of not going for a swim, unlucky.

2 x Lines down track at top 2 + 4, 1 for banded pellet and one for maggots, a close in line 2+2 and method feeder for far bank..
Glen focused on his set up and first to land a fish after a few missed bites, then Mike and  most of use followed suit.
The bites were flimsy, lots of little dinks and taps and hard to hit on maggots but it kept you busy. The early bites then seemed to dry up and you had to work and wait for them. Method across resulted on nothing at all however Jasper was catching carp on his feeder lines. 

Indian plugging away hit into and landed a carp about 8lb I think after a play on his light laccy.
Hook checks from bailiff and his discussions with Glen had suggested peg 8 had won a lot of recent matches using maggot feeder across to far bank to my left so with bites hard to come by I made a change. Still very quiet and first fish was a 2 inch skimmer much to everyone's delight.

Although pegging is about 10m apart at Springvale the bashers were in good voice and conversations, and banter passed the time between bites. Main topic of the afternoon soon ventured onto female soap stars and from Emmerdales Moira through to Rita Fairclough were all discussed and ranked against each other. Not forgetting Kevin the Carrot being saved by hedgehog and Santa .Great laugh guys.

Glen went over on long pole and shallow to try eek out a fish from the surface over there and I put maggot feeder also across again for a late run of fish. Glen was rewarded with his carp and closely followed with a small second one. I also then managed a few quick Ide and chub but alas no carp.

Good days mixed fishing, decent Ide, decent Chubb, odd skimmer and carp all caught. I guess the weather did effect the quantity caught but a very enjoyable day fishing and banter amidst all the doom and gloom headlines and highly recommended.

It may also be a long time till we meet up with Mike again who is moving to the cold North, we wish him well and he couldn't resist a final offering to each and every one of us with "do you want a sweetie". We took the sweets but that's all I'm going to say  ;). All the best good friend and hopefully see you again soon.