News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

24th October Merrys

Started by Leo Martin, October 24, 2020, 23:00:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash Knock up Messingham Sands Merrys 24.10.2020

Well as we should have been  completing our Summer League, the top 3 of the league in a one match fish off COVID reared its ugly head again and our match venue cancelled our visit. Our club membership come from near and far and  Government restrictions hit some of our friends as they found themselves in a new term of tier 3 so we were unable to complete our league this weekend. Celebrations on hold guys as we try to resolve but I'm afraid sun cream may have to be changed for wintergreen, ice creams for hot soup as the weather is now on the turn.
With help from Steve Curtis and many thanks to Alan at Messingham Grange a replacement venue was organised and those who could attended had a days fishing. I'd like to say the weather was kind   but no way had hosay, maybe someone up there knew it wasn't a summer league match. Awful blustery winds, and a good drowning from the rain, what more do you expect fishing with the Big Bash.
Friday night draw from a clothed Jasper dealt me peg 2 which had acres of room to park my box on, limp about and was a "hot peg" allegedly. Cant complain, but  the fish must have exercised their fins to keep warm in the cold water.

Pole line at 2+2 out in front to fight the cross wind, margin to left 2 + 1 margin to lily's on my right 2+2. Bomb rod and method rod for the side of the island out in front.

I had Keith TT to my right and Chalky next to him to watch. Keith was sharing with me the point of the island for his feeder chuck.  Welcome back Codders to my left and Mick Roche his neighbour.  Nigel "on a winning streak" Cooke opposite across the bay to watch.

We also welcomed back into the fold Gav cooper and Woolfy who is becoming a very welcome regular of late.

All in called and out goes Bomb rod behind the island with a disc of bread to pop up, can't fail I am told. Then pellet, then corn, then method with rotation of baits and then deep sigh, its going to be a long day. Out on pole line and again rotate the baits and couple of slight lifts but nothing to write home about.

Meanwhile Keith and Codders are emptying it on their rods. Rods out again, hook a small one and drop it off.

So the day progressed. Approx 13:45 before I hooked and landed one which was on pole line. I managed a few more on this but the line had to rest for a long period before a bite. One on method and one on bomb landed, a lump which I plays for about 5 minutes only to loose at net which looking at section weights cost me. Half a dozen fish for  21-13 and thanks for coming. I do like this lake though.

Keith was to have a steady match adding fish at very regular intervals be it on feeder or pole for a match win well done mate.
Codders to my left also had good runs of fish on his feeder chuck to small island and then picked some up on his pole lines late on.
Nige Cooke was struggling with a few silvers until the last couple of hours when he put a run of carp together to get his section win, well done sir.

Peg 2 Leo 21-13
Peg 5 Keith Smith 51-5 match win
Peg 7 Kevin Chalk  DNW
Peg 8 Big Gen  DNW
Peg 9 Nige Cook  29-2  section win
Peg 11 Gav Cooper 36-11  section win
Peg 12 John Lanelly 31-13
Peg 14 Jasper  27-4
Peg 16 Woolfy  18-12
Peg 21 Max  33-15  section win
Peg 25 Steve Curtis  37-5  2nd
in match
Peg 27 Mick Roche   30-14
Peg 28 Codders   29-2
All things considered most people caught and there were some good close battles as well from neighbouring pegs. I can definitely say we all got a good soaking together.
Well done to Keith, Steve and section winners

Thank you to Steve for scale man's duties, Glen for timekeeping and massive thanks to Jasper for the organising once again

Next knock up Saturday 31st, same venue different lake, loads of room.
Please watch forum for final summer league match venue and also date for AGM.

Those who fished, how did your day go?
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire