News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 12 Lindholme Bonsai 248.2019.

Started by Leo Martin, August 24, 2019, 21:32:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

14 Bashers and 3 welcome guests face the Norths Premier fishery flagship lake Bonsai. With a club match and some open guys sharing the lake it was always going to be "busy" and the fish under pressure. It also meant for cosy fishing for us all as we were given the central arm.
Dave Fox on Whistle duty called the all in for us at 10:00am and Mike Dodd was straight down to business. Quickly followed by Max, Stewart, Smiler and Andy Waite who were all in the vicinity of  the point. Jack to my left and Mike Dodd to my right it was going to be a chatty and wind up type of day.
Jack had a slow start by his standards and a very hard match looking numerous fish pull outs and losses. It may have been his early morning start as he was messaging everyone before first light this morning. The second half of Jacks match was a lot busier than the first half for him.
Mike fished a tidy match, short pole, top 2 plus 2/3 and feeder rod. It was to be an expensive match as a large fish took him by surprise and resulted in a breakage and several sections charged off up to the higher peg numbers. Good guys that the bashers are they retrieved said pole for Mike to lessen his losses. Mike Roche was also to loose several sections and these also were returned at match end to him. 
$teelcowboy fished a busy match, long pole, short pole, shallow full depth and feeder to build up his winning weight.
My own match on peg 73 was started on 2+2 with two lines at 10 and 2 o'clock feeding 4mm and fishing 6mm pellets. The fish bites were finicky and so swapping and changing was the order of the day. Bomb to island gave good returns but again bites went soft with twitches and not wrap rounds resulting in fish losses and missed bites. I followed Jack out to top 2 + 4 for a few fish as jack started to put a late run together. Also went shallow but nothing doing. Went into margin late on and after feeding for a couple of hours, a skimmer was first fish, then a large daddy and followed by a 4lb fully whiskered barbel gratefully received.
Whistle sounded and it was the weigh in expertly completed by Steve Curtis, and assistants Steelcowboy and a now sober Jasper.
Match winner Steelcowboy peg 76 98-1
Section winners
Eddie Hearn peg 64 73-04
Andy Waite peg 69 77-05
Mike Dodd peg 75 59-13
Jasper ( Disco fever) peg 82 93-4
Second in sections
Steve Curtis peg 59 64-1
Paul Whitehouse (winter-league basher) peg 67 59-04
Leo Martin peg 73 45-00
Steve Guy peg 84 91-10
So on a really sunny warm still day the match on Bonsai delivered fish to everyone and considering the pressure the lake was under, didn't do half bad. Well done everyone in the heat.
Many thanks to Mike Dodd for assisting in pegging, Dave Fox timekeeper and whistle blower, Steve Curtis for his usual and efficient weighing in.
Thank you to our guests supporting us, Paul Whitehouse, Stewart Neville and Eddie Hearn from the Lindholme Angling club.
The match also saw the round of the challenge cup with Dave Fox and Indian going through. Draw to be made on the next match.
Please check out the forum for the 2020 Big Bash summer league membership thread.
Anglers to confirm places for the next summer league match on Messingham Swan on 7th September as we have reserves waiting.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Peg 59 my peg for the day.started on method for 45 mins,2 small fish.tried 4m and 12m on pole couple of skimmers ,Mike Roche to my left was struggling to catch any carp as was opposite.flat calm with what wind there was going to other end.Mike started to get some decent skimmers short so decided to fish for them.caught a few short and 12m on paste with no carp showing at all.had about 35lb of skimmers with an hour left going nowhere,back to method to end of island,an 8lb first chuck had a few more in last hour but a struggle finish with 6 carp to go with skimmers for 64lb.Bit disappointing not an f1 in sight and no carp on paste.

Leo Martin

Thanks Steve for write up, deffinatly a hard day for most however still respectful weights all round. How did everyone elses day go, tactics, methods, thoughts?
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Mickr1963

Peg 57 for me and a very barren area for carp and F1's although a carp did snap my top four in the first ten minutes slapping a banded 4mm at 10 metre. Decided to fish match as previously there when I drew peg 56 and skimmer bashed. Fishing a top two with 6mm soft pellet and feeding ground bait and dead reds all day had a steady 51lb, lost a 12lb carp at the net when hook pulled after playing it for a good five minutes and lost four big skimmers which when hooked just launch themselves out of the water into the reeds, biggest fish was a four pound barbel was expecting to be swimming after the match for my pole but luckily Andy Waite had managed to retrieve it for me, cheers buddy although I think I would have enjoyed a dip
All Leeds Aren't We

steelcowboy

76 for me and would have been happier drawing on the other bank in the wides and then when I finally got to my peg ( breakfast was served late ! ) it looked like 71,72,73 & 74 had been left out and then Starting with Mike  on 75 we was peg for peg upto 79 !

Then Leo moved down to 74 so at least it gave us a bit of space to my right .

Was going to start on the bomb but just as the whistle went the lodge anglers opposite started with the big and I mean big nosey feeder so forgot that line all together .

Started late but only set a bomb rod up ,two plus two line , 13mt deck rig plus shallo rig for 13mt

Feed all 4mm on all lines fished hard 4mm on all lines but did get a few on 6mm on bomb , 4 I think .

Caught two shallo with one a big mirror round about 7lb

Had a good spell in middle of match at 13mt until I pulled out of a fish at the net only for my rig to ping up into the tree !! So minor surgery required stood on box with landing net handle with cutter attached but by the time I got  back in the line had gone quiet . Last 30minutes went on top two plus two line feeding heavy with 4mm but switched to 6mm banded which produced a bigger stamp right upto the whistle .

Had 24 fish and a few small F1s thought I would have 75lb maybe 80lb if lucky so was pleasantly surprised when scales went to just 2lb short of the Ton .

Rig line .18
Hook 18 banded
Hook length .12 and later on .14
Best float .4 AS2

Happy Days just need to remember fish have fins  ;)

Felt sorry for Mike but was funny seeing his sections dragged down the lake and can't understand why he didn't go in after it , it was that shallow I dont think he would have even got his shorts wet  ;D