News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 6 Messingham Swan

Started by Leo Martin, May 25, 2019, 22:31:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash summer League round 6 Messingham Swan

Lovely day, some sunshine, some overcast clouds, occasional breeze, tee shirt and shorts weather. The time of year gradually moving towards the annual carp sex fest that is spawning season with some fisheries full on and some waiting to start. It was reported Swan was the latter although they don't seem to be far away as one or two starting to practise their reproductive acts.
All paid on in time and then a first for the Big Bash as we almost joined the national voting shenanigans but hopefully managed to recover ourselves. Due to a discrepancy with the pegging and draw we had a recall and re-draw. Thank you for your understanding and assistance on this one, much appreciated. Never a dull moment with our club?.

The lake was generously pegged in our favour, both sides, roadside end and lots of room between a lot of the pegs. Some of the trees have been thinned back exposing margins for some anglers and of course its park behind your peg and roomy platforms.
16 anglers with 12 league members, supported by 4 welcomed guests who are becoming regulars in their own way.
Peg 8 my home for the day and the set up well decided before arrival. Pellet waggler, cubed bomb rod and pole with top 2 +2 line and margin set up.

Neighbours Mick Roche to my left and John Utting to my right who I had a good old chinwag with throughout the match. Opposite was Andy Waite, Steve Curtis and fresh in from Mexico Mike Dodd who had loads of banter all match with Big Glen just up from Andy.
Whistle blown for all in from Glen, waggler loaded with 11mm pellet and chucked about 30 yards, I go to "mend" my line and the float disappears, fish on, happy days 5lb carp in my net after a battle. The waggler first off was working but bites were very iffy. The fish were in cruising mode and certainly not responding to catapulted pellets. After a while, another fish was hooked a 6 ounce roach had took an 8mm pellet. Next fish as an 8lb carp and then a long spell of inactivity. I ended up on the bomb rod fishing banded pellet and corn fishing under the waggler line where some more were caught but nothing to trouble others around the lake. I did try the margin and was rewarded with roach and skimmers so no chance there.

Nice interlude from a visit from the ice-cream man where several bashers chose to cool off with a cornet.

Jasper caught from the off with most of his fish plundered from under a tree to his left hand side. It was costly to his nerves and the fish were straight into the tree costing him numerous hooks and terminal tackle. John Utting caught steady throughout the match on waggler, method and pole. Nige Cooke got off to a great start racking up several early carp however it seemed to die off. Andy Waite fished another strong match going tit for tat with Big Glen who after a slow start soon was catching. It even caused him to miss his snap as he was too busy........ Steve Curtis fishing his beloved paste on a shallow line caught a very commendable weight of crucians. Phil Codlin fishing margin lines also broke the ton. Mick Roche after loosing some terminal tackle on his margin lines, stuck it out on the waggler to catch intermittently. Fish were caught all around the lake, one side more favourable than the other. The fish would not settle down on the feed and some long spells of inactivity for some but at least everyone caught.

Match winner
Jasper peg 11     114lb
Section winners
Jack Crabtree peg 2    67.3
Dave Canmer peg 47 101.7
Steve Curtis peg 50 109.15
Glen Hanysz peg 54 108.0
Second in sections
Mick Roche peg 6 53.11
John Utting peg 10  70.8
Max $teelcowboy Bates peg 49 74.12
Phil Codlin peg 58 100.12

So with 5 ton weights, I'm sure all anglers feel they left more fish in their swim than was in their nets. There were lots of lost fish in the match for everyone, hook lengths, floats and terminal tackle lost but that's for us to talk and moan about later.
Thanks for the help from Jasper and Glen for assistance with the match admin. Jack as ever on his fish card and daft quid draw. Steve Curtis for accompanying the fishery weigh in crew recording the results.  Also once again to all anglers for their understanding as the redraw took place,

Next match is Mikes knock up on Oaktree snake lake, please be in touch if wanting on June 1st.
June 8th and 9th is the Big Bash mini festival with Ferrets trophy match on the 8 on Beeches and a mystery pairs match on Loco on Sunday 9th. Places to confirm on both matches please.

Some guys are stopping over in the Lindholme lodges and a special musical event will take place on the Saturday evening for those interested. Please see Jack for details.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

kiwi

Leo I can see it all now Jasper on drums Keith on guitar and Mike on piano and every body else on ear plugs :Music_musik29: :Music_musik29:

weldec

Well done Jasper on your win, and the section winners also.
Good account of your day Leo.  Thank you for sharing.

Leo Martin

How did your day go guys? Tactics, baits, methods etc, please share.

Leo Martin

Quote from: kiwi on May 26, 2019, 00:01:33
Leo I can see it all now Jasper on drums Keith on guitar and Mike on piano and every body else on ear plugs :Music_musik29: :Music_musik29:

I've a feeling Mikes role will be lead vocal

Indian

fishfinder

Started on bomb nothing after half hour went on pole 6m couple of skimmers. Tried bomb again had 1 carp.All seemed to struggling either side.Decided to fish for anything,so when in front on paste which I feed from the start with 4mm hards.started to get a few crucians and skimmers but only small.ended up catching them up in the water for couple of hours then slowed.struggled till last hour then had 2 carp on 6m line and 2 down the edge.had 70lb of bits.and 6 carp.

jasper31

Started on method whilst trying to feed pellets for a waggler chuck, whilst also hand throwing 4mm pellets near margin tree. After 30 minutes saw fish in the edge so went on and fish there most of the day. On quiet spells threw out method, bomb and waggler but nothing of any sort. Did manage to hook and land one of the small ducklings, after unhooking it bloody thing then went straight back to nicking pellets i was firing in....

Last hour went quiet with carp, so balled in some groundbait first put in and bream, this carried on for last hour where i think i would have put 40lb bream in the net in that last hour.

Very frustrating trying to get the carp from under the trees, lost around 12 - 15 carp probably same as what i caught. 16/20 elastic and chopped off so only the slightest came out topkit but still lost em..... bream had no chance 😂

Went through 2 bags of 4mm and nearly a bag of 6mm pellets, 2kg of groundbait and half a tin of corn (didn't feed any) feeding handfull of 4mm pellets after hooking each fish, nearly all fish caught on corn - waited too long when used worm or maggot on hook.
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Still waiting for the second duck hooker to confess.

Nigel David Cooke

Lovely day out with the bashes ,I started off on my beloved tea bag and 8 mil first carp a ten pounder whoosh ,had four more and thought it was a ton up day however my bomb line dried up ,so went on my short line and only had three foot at nine metres after a few silvers I thought I was going nowhere so went down suicide alley to my right five rigs 12 hook lengths heads a shed ,just don't know what I could do the fish were there but getting em out was summat else ,went to wetlands the following day and won my section with 14 lb pegs either side of me had a small skimmer a piece ,an hard nut to crack

kiwi

Leo Jack should do away with daft quid and open a big bash hook a  duck  card who hook most duck at end of year get the money ;D ;D

jasper31

Wasn't me!

Skyblue1987

As Rod Stewart sang ...I don't want to talk about it :Music_musik29:
Dreaming of strawberry daiquiris hot sun and a cooling pool 8) 8) 8)
The duck saga...well hooked in top of beak so my rig was correct  ;)
Best bite of the day..Ice cream,Would have been Glens sandwiches because he hadn't had time to eat them ::) ::)
I had a season ticket once you know

Leo Martin

I wondered if you was going to fes up lol. Even used his landing net on the poor little thing.

Mickr1963

The duck whisperer 2 finally quacked

All Leeds Aren't We