News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 1 Springvale Duchess Lake

Started by Leo Martin, March 09, 2019, 22:07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

9.3.2019 Springvale Duchess Lake summer league round 1.

Today saw the coming together of the Big Bash summer league anglers after a winter rest however for the second season in succession it would app, ear winter was intruding into our summer angling season. The club core membership have known each other many years and first match welcome handshakes are standard as the title of a friendly club is well and truly attached to the Big Bash AC.

Springvale was our first venture out in 2019 and it's rapidly working its way up the top venue league within our club as everyone compliments the whole set up. Clean, great access roads around lakes, park behind the pegs, lots of room between pegs, lots of bites, bait delivered to pegs, friendly staff and lovely welcoming owner.

Great to see a slim line Jack back holding fort and doing what he does best, extract money from others. We also had 2 welcome guests rolled across from the winter league in Dave Taylor and Paul Whitehouse who despite car issues turned up late and still fished, well done and thankyou Paul. Everyone paid on a timely manner, draw completed and its off to set up for the summer league. If only someone had told Paul Hudson or Jon Mitchell as the weather wasn't any reflection of summertime. Strong cold blustery winds, cold rain, clouds and occasional sunshine. The weather also dictated as to how everyone fished tactic wise as bait presentation was very difficult on the pole due to the gusting wind.

Looking at the results the wind seems to have played a part with carp following the wind to a degree but this takes nothing away from the anglers as they still have to be caught.

The choice of fishing this lake is silverfish or carp and on their day either can win. Today silverfish were okay until carp started to be picked up by one or two anglers. Indian, Steve guy and Jack were the ones in my vision.

Top 2 + 2 I set up two lines and also a margin swim following advice from he who should remain nameless. I tried numerous baits but could only get bites on double maggot except one 3 inch roach who took a 4mm expander. The feeder rod was also tried to no effect except in the late stages of the match when I manged to pick a carp up on my top 2 + 2 line and lost a second due to broken hook length. I finished up with about 40 odd Ide and roach and 2 small carp and thanks for coming. The ide were of a smaller stamp which cannot be helped, and I was unable to locate any carp on the feeder to boost the weight hey ho that's fishing.

To my left Steve Guy did manage to locate his carp on method and the new exciting washter bait. Jack opposite also seemed to be very mobile in his response and it paid off with some good results however we must not forget our very own birthday boy Kevin Indian Webster who continued his winter league form .

Match winner
Kevin Indian webster peg 15 45-14

Section winners
Steve Curtis peg 3   17-6
Andy Waite peg 6 26-8
Steve Guy peg 10 35-4
Jack Crabtree peg 22   32-11

Second in sections
Big Glen  peg 4   13-0
Jasper peg7   24-1
Mick Roche peg 14  15-12
John  Lanelly peg 26  12-4

Largest weighed fish was to Jack Crabtree with a lump of 7lb 12 and Jack was so excited he put a third net in. well done Jack.

Great to be back on the bankside and its 2 weeks to the next match at Sykehouse match lake. Still confirmations required as reserves are waiting.

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Great write up buddy, good to have u back.

for me it took too long to figure out what the carp wanted. Caught carp in last hour n half but too late then.
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Good to be back.
How was everyone elses day? What worked for you? What didn't work?
Any comments on the venue or lake?

steve

Great venue!
More new ponds being dug and stocked this year to add to the established very well stocked ponds, café and tackle shop being built. Can only get better.

andy w8

Can we book it again in warmer months lol

andy w8

For me it was chuck and chance most of the day lol

james.staff.7

Great read Leo well done lads it looked like shorts and vest weather!

jasper31

Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Any more of you guys who fished sharing your tactics on how you caught?

Mickr1963

No bites on bomb or method not even a liner, battled with top four all day against wind losing my cap three times and pole twice in what must be worst conditions I've fished in, caught ide in spells on double maggot one white one red and latched on to two carp in the last half hour ide were of a small stamp nothing over 6 oz
All Leeds Aren't We

Jack Crabtree

Micros and mini Ringers white wafters in 36g hybrid feeder about 6 foot from island, Didn't get any bites up against the island.

Fed groundbait & corn 4 times down edge from 1.00 & tried 3 times with corn for 5mins a go because the waves were that bad I couldn't see if anything was feeding. I caught the lump on 4th attempt at about 2:30.

Because I was catching steadily on feeder I stayed on it till the end.
Just wait till I get my cataracts done