News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 Summer League membership post

Started by Leo Martin, September 30, 2018, 19:18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Do we ask for pegging fees at start of season as part of the joining fee?
If we book 20 pegs how do we deal with the situation when say 22 want to fish?
Do we reduce match bookings to say 14 and have knock ups in between if there is interest
Do we reduce club membership to 18 or 20
Do we shorten the season April to September?
Are we booking the right venues?

All ideas and views appreciated, please help the committee on this one
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

The club has to pay peg fees on my behalf in advance. I think it only fair that I  repay the club for the peg it has booked for me.
I am happy to pay peg fees upfront.
Perhaps payments could be made in instalments via PayPal the requirement being that they be made in full before the first match?
Maybe consider reducing the number of pegs booked?
If persisting in booking Southfield Res book it earlier in the year. Maybe have a re-vote on the "natural venue".

When is the AGM ?

Leo Martin

Currently the members get the best of both worlds. Club matches are treat like opens, you simply book on turn and pay. Issue being the club has to reserve the lake and pay for the pegs.
If members dont turn up the reserved pegs still have to be covered.
In order to book a lake then this can be 12 to 18months in advance.
When booking the lake, how do we know how many are to turn up? What commitments do the membership make?
We must also remember that there are very real and genuine reasons for not fishing matches. Family matters, work, illness and of course running out of brownie points. Our home life's are more important than drowning maggots so we must not forget this or feel obliged to attend.
The question is how do we get the balance correct .

Skyblue1987

Lindholme angling club like ours has suffered with low numbers and now you have to pay peg fees
Upfront to join.Seems a good idea my thinking is..
Maybe pay £5 peg fees upfront the £2 balance to be collected per match as we pay on..
Limit club to 20 in total we have to book 20 pegs as there are members then if no shows at least the peg fee is nearly covered in joining peg fees..

April till September ok matches fortnightly
Venues???? It could fish its head off one week until we get there! But that's why it's called angling
Not bag up! You ask about venues but only get same responders but fish crap and you will get some
Moaners!!
Why was this peg in and not that! We should have been over the other side of the lake always fishes better than this!,we should be on the other lake rather than this!!!
You hear it all through the season....
Jasper books the lake,the owner picks the pegs,god chooses the weather!!!and smiler chooses to hand steve guy a £  ;D couldn't resist last one ;D
It's a thankless task for both Leo & jasper so if anyone wants to take up the reins let them come forward.Or in words of a marriage vicar forever hold there peace....
I had a season ticket once you know

steve

He's had a couple off me this year mike  :)
Your right match organising is a thankless task. A thick skin is one important requirement together with the support and understanding of members.
Hopefully this post will result in some positive feed back from members.

Leo Martin

The wrong pegs, wrong lake, the draw is useless all part of the fun at the fair so to speak. Some time it grinds but sometimes it's actually quiet funny.
Certain team members step up to the plate and help out on this front and these should be thanked and commended

Leo Martin

There were 24 names on the books this year. It would be nice if we can have responses and views from at least 10 of these.

kiwi

Mike your reply is bang on in all sports you always get the moaners even in lawn bowls the games are to early or to late in the day weathers wrong but they are the ones who never want to take on jobs of running events  Leo  and  Jasper do a cracking job for big basher members

andy w8

Look lads ie jasper and Leo think you do a fantastic job ,maybe reduce pegged no to20  .How about to book on next match peg fee up front a fortnight in advance if no pay it opens it up to guests

tackletart

A rough calculation of league matches fished this year.
Numbers of members starting with 1st match.
1=18
2=19
3=19
4=17
5=17
6=23
7=16
8=12
9=16
10=16
11=16
12=16
13=13
14=16
15 not fished yet.
A rough average of 17 members per match so far with only one left to fish.

So as you see we only had 1 match that exceeded the 20 and no other match that made 20 peg fees from MEMBERS.
Results speak for themselves.Only book 20 pegs unless or until the club membership attendance or numbers change.
£75 joining fee that covers £5 peg per match then £2 peg fee on the day.Club stands the £2 for non attendance on the day.

Vegatarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter

jasper31

Keith - completely agree on booking less pegs but then that leaves the question - Do we limit the membership to only 20? We can't have 25 members all wanting to fish if we have only booked 20 pegs....

Its a rock and a hard place.
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

>:D bite your tongue Leo, behave old son >:D >:D >:D

tackletart

My what big teeth you Have  >:D

Go on Leo old son you know you want to  ;D ;D
Vegatarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter

steve

This illustrates that the current system used is unsustainable. It doesn't matter whether we have 20 or 25 members, it depends on how many are paying. 

If we have 25 members wanting to fish then 25 should pay for their pegs. It totally wrong that anyone can put their name down and have the club fork out for their peg then not turn up, leaving the club to pick up their peg fee.

Only book pegs for those that have paid for them.

When is the Annual General Meeting?

Leo Martin

Thank you for the data Keith it definately tells a story we have had a 70% take up from 25 members.

There is nothing saying we wont have a 70% take up with 20 or even 15 members.

My views are that we will have to strike a balence and compromise on booking a number of pegs and paying a suitable pegging fee tp cover them be it up front or week on week. The hard part is we cannot predict what number of us will fish in 2020 and when we will attend.

We have to have a process or proceedure that is fair to everyone going forward so we can get the match bookings right as we need to be reserving our match venues for 2020 now.

If we book 20 pegs and have 25 members or 15 pegs and 20 members we have to have a system and agreement so that when dissappointment happens because a person is number 21 or 16 on the booking on post we dont get upset about it.

Will first come first served work, maybe, it has in the past? this way t could icrease use of the forum which we use for booking on & off which may support this idea

Will paying a deposit up front work, it does for a lot of clubs.

What is intresting is other clubs are facing the same dilema so we are not alone.

I have 2 questions,

How many pegs do we book for 2020 , my recommmendation would be 20

Have you any other ideas other than the pay up front method