News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2020 summer league round 6 Torne Bank 15th August

Started by Leo Martin, August 16, 2020, 12:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Summer league round 6 Torne Bank
With 20 pegs now being booked for the club it saw a welcome return to a club favourite amongst members that is Torne Bank. Its been good to watch this fishery develop and mature over the years with well-established trees now surrounding the lake and bank side vegetation also  providing edge cover. Steve has "pre gardened" several little pockets around the island to cast towards as fish holding areas as well.

Covid 19 safe Friday night draw, (although you have to do a double take on how much of Jaspers torso is exposed to the camera). Please continue to book on and pay on in  advance as this helps keep everything fair and square on the admin front and in line with our club rules. Peg 11 ( legs 11 very appropriate in my case) saw me on a relatively unused peg with 10 being in however 12 was empty and I couldn't take advantage due to trees over my head.
s
12 o'clock start is a thing the club likes at this fishery to try take advantage of late margin fish but it also adds a little variety to the summer season. The weather very changeable of late saw a cloudy day, Tee shirt temperatures, flat calm in most areas with a slight threat of thunder storms later on. I arrived at about 10am and was surprised to find I was almost last there. Steve and his bailiff there to meet and greet and offer fishing options when you told him your peg number as pellets were purchased.

We welcomed guest Lewis Fox ( fox cub) who was COVID friendly introduced by Dave, and he was to give a very good example of himself as the day progressed, well done sir. Good to see Jonny B back with us again as well  :)

Arriving on peg 11 and faced with a Kilimanjaro steep slope to get down Mr Cooke esq helped me out with the endless supply of gear I seem to have. Thank you Nige, really appreciated and also to everyone else who continue their offers of support. It would be an understatement to say how frustrated I am getting in the time being taken  for bone growth and repairs to take place. Hopefully Tuesday will bring positive news.

Anyhow all set up and waiting for big Glens Whistle we are. Pole lines at 2+2 2 oclock ( keeping away from Nige next door, 2 + 2 to overhanging willow where leaves just brushed the water to my right, 2 + 1 to margin on Right hand side margin at only 9 inch deep. Method for island bank and waggler also for island chuck. First mistake.  Baits for day, micros, 4mm, 6mm pellets corn, paste,  dead reads and worms, various hook pellets.

Whistle blown and I try cast method across, Hmm overhead trees to negotiate which was not going to lend itself for quick casts. Similarly moving onto waggler as fish seemed to be up in water, float bust , tangles avoiding trees and it was 12:30 and struggling for consistency casting with numerous tangles so onto pole line. Meanwhile around the lake Jasper with his Wilson wand in hand was enjoying a good day on waggler and fish coming in steadily, Mick Roache next door also casting and catching, Fox cub also pulling them in. Nige to my left had started on waggler and caught a couple but lost a £3.00 float so was distraught. His hole in the reeds where fish could be heard sucking on them was proving ridden with snags so he moved onto his pole and was having a skimmer fest.

I hooked a carp on 2+2 then lost a couple, I had fed my margin really early under the tree and the tails were waving come and get me and at 1:30 so that was it. 6 inch of water and tails showing but despite every permutation I could only snare 2 to the net losing several and missing loads. The fish were not settled at all and knew a loose offering from one on my hook,  and chopse accordingly. I did catch a couple on 2+2 line and 2 on feeder to weigh in 16.4 and thanks for coming. The day can be summed up as later on in the evening I found not one but two cans of Fosters off as I poured them into my glass.. Hey ho tomorrows a different day.

With good friend Nigel Cooke next door it was always going to be a chatty day and it didn't disappoint. We put the world to rights and hopefully Steve Guy didn't choke too much on coal dust with Wilf next to Nigel and big Glen on Steves left it was the old coal miners end of the lake.

Nigel had mixed day with mostly small fish on his main pole lines, he did manage a few to be winkled out his Left side margin, well done mate, shame about the £3 float lost. Wilf in a corner peg also had to deal with catch one and then wait for another bite as fish struggled to get their heads down. He caught one beast of a fish which strained his landing net big style. 46-10 well done Wilf.

Steve Guy had spells of fish and long spells of waitig to put 27-10 in his net. He deserves a medal for consoling big Glen for the first 4 hours of the match as he struggled to catch and was letting everyone know. Glen as always came good at the end to weigh in 55-4 mostly form his margins I think. Well done partner

Jasper on fancied peg 14 and with 12 and 13 not in made up lost ground from his last outing. Waving his Wilson wand he plundered the bay on waggler and feeder rod to keep a stedy flow of fish going to his waiting landing net. Ge tried pole lines but not as productive till about 4pm he moved to his left hand margin towards 13 platform I think. Then he continued the catching and in resting margin was back on his wands catching the odd one. Match winner, zero to hero, 92-6 well done. Mick Roache pushed him close next door with 67-6 but it was to be Fox cub making his debut with 84-9 and a section win closest. Well done Lewis.

I may have had a bad day at the office but its great to look down the weigh sheet and see everyone has caught fish on the day and this also supports the decision to return to this fishery even with 20 members so fairly full. Well done to everyone and hope you enjoyed the return to Torne bank as well.

Around the lake
Peg1 Dave Fox 69-2 2nd in section
Peg 2 Indian 74-11 section winner 
Peg 3 Smiler 21-3
Peg 4 Kevin Chalk 39-12
Peg 5 Keith TT smith 45-2
Peg 6 Andy Waite 58 section winner
Peg 7 Big Glen 55-3 2nd in section pushing Andy towards the end
Peg 8 Steve Guy 27-4
Peg 9 Wilf 46-10
Peg 10 Nigel Cooke 32-4
Peg 11 Leo 16-4 
Peg 14 Jasoer 92—6 match winner
Peg 15  Mick Roche 67-6 2nd in section
Peg 16 Lewis Fox 84 -9  section win
Peg 17 Max 66-6
Peg 18 John Lanelly  34
Peg 20 Steve Curtis 79-2 section winner
Peg 22 John Utting 68-8 2nd in sectionn
Peg 24 John Balmforth  22-3

Well done to Jasper with his return to glory and a match win. Well done to section winners and second in sections who all pick up brown  Covid friendly PayPal envelopes.

Thank you and well done to Jasper on his organisation skills, Steve Curtis on his weigh in technique and on Glen on the shrill tones of his whistle although the far bank struggled to hear it so I improvised with my loud gob.

Next match a friendly knock up on another new venue for the club in Owston Ferry fisheries on22nd August . New small fishing lake this one which I visited early on but not fished itas I preferred the warping drain tench so sorry cant help out. They do have a face book page if it helps at all.

Next League match is back to  Lindholme Bennies on the 29th which is in real good form of late. Please confirm and pay on, spare places are available for guests. Plent of bait required, keepnets and bed early before match day.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Nice write up Leo. Thanks for taking the time. Its good to have the results on the forum.

fishfinder

Venue fished well all round especially with 19 on it,I drew an unfancied area but it fished well,carried on were I left off at oak tree losing fish far too often,caught nearly all on method across but fish kept coming and going had to keep resting it,only had 2 down the edge don't think paste was the right bait because john next door caught most of his down the edge,lost 3 lumps at the net and about 15 others on feeder on the way in so very frustrating, but enjoyed the day

Thanks for write up Steve  these really help when looking back for coming years visits.
Any more comments on their day appreciated

Leo Martin

Quote from: steve on August 17, 2020, 07:44:22
Nice write up Leo. Thanks for taking the time. Its good to have the results on the forum.

Hi Steve, thank you for comments. We are really struggling with importing photos or spreadsheets as photo bucket has kicked us off. If we have time we will endeavour to manually input but sorry for no regular supply. I believe there is a need for both forum and f/ book in the club comms. On f/book we can upload pictures and spreadsheets making life easier on the admin side.

If time next weekend I'll try update league positions.

Thanks again for everybody's patience till we find an easier method
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

this is one of my favorite venues (not just because last 2 times i have been i won) ;D ;D

The venue is clean, drive to pegs, owner is sound and the added touch of getting a butty brought to the the peg is great.

You know what you are fishing for at Torne Bank and dependent where you draw is what you do. Last time i was on peg 15 so to get 14 this time was a very good piece of luck. I started with a method across into a very small gap in the far margin, this was only about 12" deep but a good little mud patch. It was tight casting and several times i went astray. I struggle to get bites if i wasn't in the gap but feeding 2 bags of 8mm pellets kept the fish coming.
I probably stayed on it a bit longer than i intended but as i was catching steady i didn't see the point in moving. Tried paste line at 5m but nothing doing....Last hour i went 13m left down the margin and caught a few lumps on double worm over ground bait.

All in all a very enjoyable day and washes away the memory of last weeks draw and performance.
Wasn't me!