News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 14 Messingham Big Swan 30.9.2023

Started by Leo Martin, October 01, 2023, 18:13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Aquastim Big Bash Summer League round 14 Big Swan Messingham Sands 30.9.2023

Autumn has arrived, temperatures changing daily, cooler nights, early dawn mists, and lines of geese flying to their chosen winter locations. The rain has also returned and we have had some "decent" downpours, the first named storm arrived in the Up but seemed to have bypassed our area and our match day weather forecast was once again all over the place. The lake water was however still warm and fish were showing on the surface of the lake.

Back to Messingham Sands and todays match was to be held on Big Swan. Some back and forth regarding pegging in the week and involving little swan however democracy rules the club so Big Swan it was. With now regular guest Bernie Hook joining the numbers it made it a simple 4 x 5 peg section of 20 anglers on the Jaspers wheel of fortune.

Peg 8 was duly delivered to yours truly and on arrival to the lake it was soon evident that almost every peg was in on the lake so the pressure was one.
Early morning cloud, very little breeze so flat calm, during the day we did have some sunshine, also times when a ripple formed towards middle of the lake and yes the rain made an appearance for a good spell in the afternoon. I guess we were lucky as evening time the heavens opened again big style.
Plan of attack today was method & Bomb rods, pole line in front and I struggled to find a flat bottom other than top 2 + 3 which was a foot over the length of my top kit. I also set 2 margin rigs up under the trees either side.

Baitwise it was to be 8 and 6mm fishery hard pellets, fishery expanders, choices of wafters, fishery micros, Aquastim F1 sweet groundbait, swimstim paste and corn.
Difficult start on rods such as no bites all time, not even a liner so after an hour onto pole with hard pellet. Iffy bites which I suspect who couldn't fit  pellet in their mouth. Rods again and back on pole again and onto Paste which resulted in small crucians and skimmmers. I chose to stick with this in the hope the catch rate would increase to be able to at least build a weight but it was hard work. Also fishing at such a depth if I missed the slight bites, it was rebait and back out job so not very encouraging on that front either. I did catch an F1 about a pound but then small skimmer followed.
Things were not looking very good at all and to either side were also struggling although Paul had a few. Bomb rod out and eat  my snap to contemplate which plan comes out the draw next. Low and behold the rod twitched with a very slight pull and fish on and it was not going to be rushed, it was solid so take your time Leo. Result a nice carp about 9 lbs. Back out and rod wraps round but snapped hook length after I tightened up, that baby wasn't coming to say hello. Two more bites and two carp in next ¾ hour resulted in 18lbs of carp in my net but they were not to be added to as no more rod bites came. Rest of match a few more crucians on pole line but they had gone. Margins nothing at all despite feeding throughout the match, not a sign at all. Weighed in 22lb 4 and thanks for coming.  I felt it was right to swap and change as the stamp of carp easily over ruled the silver / crucian line. However if they are not playing then you
have to seek elsewhere. Still enjoyed my day and the company as always and look forward to the next one.
With Big Swan being well established you are unable to view those alongside you and the guys opposite are really too far to engage in any banter so apologies for lack of comments about everyone.

Keith Turner next door on also struggled for bites if he doesn't mind me saying all match. A few on bomb from a few small areas, pole line tried and tested several times and also margins devoid of fish. He did put a good run of fish together 3pm onwards off pole fished method on his pole line. Skimmers mostly coming to groundbait in micros mix bit a bonus carp boosted his weight to 22-10 to pip me on the scales, well done Keith. 34lb 4 for second in section, well done mate.

Paul Whitehouse on peg 9 set off on his pole line and snared an angry carp early on but there wasn't a shoal waiting for his next put in. Paul fresh form more Alex schooling swapped and changed I his quest to find fish. Pole lines bomb, feeder, pellet waggler, pole shallow and margins to name a few.

Nige Cooke on peg 10 also had a bit of a mare with no carp showing. He resorted to fishing for crucians but they too were on hunger strike. 17.4 and thanks for coming but at least he takes a bag of home-grown tomatoes home.

Winner of our hard section 2 was Indian, once again in the points. It sounded like he was catching on his rods and a little moore frequent than us forther down the bank. 50lbs on the scales from peg 6, well done buddy.

Section 1 winner was Smiler on corner peg 1 with 49-2 who is having a good late run to the season. Second in section was Max on peg 4 with 45-10, well done to you both.

Section 3 winner was inform Steve Curtis on peg 12 returning 95-8 and second on section off opposite bank was "Darkhorse" john Utting on peg 53 who returned 77lb 2. He did entertain us all mid match when a seagull flew into his line and had to be reeled in to release again.

Final section winner was Jasper on peg 55 who weiged 85-12 getting out of jail with some late margin munters who took a fancy to some micros thrown in rage to the side of the lake. Second in section was Michael Roche on peg 58 who took 58-12. Released form work for the weekend, good to have you back sir.

Top of the podium was Bernie Hook who took full advantage of fancied peg 3 to plunder 102-2 for the young scalesmen to lift. Bomb and 8mm pellet was his preferred method and it was reported 40lb in first hour so the fish must have shied away from even Bernie. Well done sir.

Thank you Jasper for the organising once again and to the young weigh in team one of which looked very nervous and unstable up to his waste in the water.

Next match is back at Lindholme on Willows, here's hoping for a little more room as the temperature drops and summer guys hang up their rods so less matches are taking place. October 14th is the date for your diaries and we will be holding the AGM directly after in the fishery pub. Please see forum for AGM minutes and to add any questions or comments. Also please book on the match timely so we can work out the pegging in a timely manner.

Willows is the next to last match of the season so a good turnout will be welcome. Regarding the final match which is at Lodge farm and was schedule to be on Sand Martin, Jasper is still trying to find out the situation and will react accordingly when we know the facts from Bill at Lodge farm.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Tight pegged was always going to be hard fancied pegs 13,3,or 1 but got peg 12 which was an ok one,bomb,feeder ,pole and paste and an edge rig,started short on feeder and got an early carp then nothing but a few bits,fed 8mm pellets 25m for bomb which i was told was the main line of attack but nothing,fed this all day and wasted probably 2 and a half hours on it in total for no bites,had a decent hour or so on paste for some chunky f1s and crucians and a few skimmers mid match,odd carp on feeder and a good last hour down the edge for 95lb felt i wasted too long on bomb but was pleased to wiegh far more than i thought.Was a hard day for most and was soaked through but still enjoyed it.