News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 2 Sherwood Fisheries Holmedale Lake April 15th

Started by Leo Martin, April 15, 2023, 22:35:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

2023 Summer League round 2 Sherwood Forest Holmedale Lake 15.4.2023

The last few weeks have seen a slight raise in temperatures and as expected match weights were on the rise. A couple of ton weights this last week and the Big Bash anglers were expecting a few fish in their keepnets. Big Bash AC has fished Holmedale numerous times and had many enjoyable matches there. The combination of shallow water and hard fighting carp gives good sport. There are favoured and unflavoured pegs, like everywhere, but the fish have fins and good days can be had from almost anywhere. This is not counting for the Big Bash AC factor which seems to follow our club around. A lot of heavy cold rain and few overnight frosts can be blamed I suppose if we look for excuses however we did have a dry day in good company, a few laughs and everyone caught at least one fish.

Grand National Day at Aintree and whilst some clowns disrupted the start of the world famous horse race, some big bash anglers may have wished they delayed the match at Holmedale, if not for an hour, maybe a month of two.

16 Bashers entered the match draw on Thursday evening as our chairman was pursuing his carp infatuation elsewhere with a pre booked event this weekend.

The wheel of fortune was spun and peg 44 was dealt to yours truly which I wasn't too disappointed about to be honest. Peg 44  being after the main island and with the mini islands in front to chuck to. A spare peg each side meant I could chuck to 3 of these if I wanted to. I was in a Cowboy and Indian sandwich with Max to my left and Kev to my right sending down the lovely cigar smell in the slight breeze giving me nice memories of my dad.

Saturday morning and more overnight rain as we left home to wind our way into Nottinghamshire ad Sherwood Forest.

Arrival to pay the pegging fees and purchase some pellets and myself and Steve Guy were treat to some real advice from a Basher who shall remain nameless. If you visit the site toilets, don't put you specs on your hat as they may fall in where you don't want them to. Oh dear. I suppose saving grace was he could have followed some of our other team mates in there who could have left deposits not worth even thinking about.
I guess I have many names within our group, and today I was supplied another one, Mr Gullible. Another basher who shall remain nameless handed me a Euro 50 cent coin in disguise of a pound. In fairness once I had pocketed it, he did own up. I must say I didn't expect this trick from this half of our chuckle brothers and it shows you have to be on the alert at all times.

My approach was feeder and bomb rods. Pole lines at top 2 + 2, 4 and 6 at 11am, 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock, also margin lines to both sides at 2+2.
All in shouted, match starts and I could cut this really really short. 3 bites, one fish and game over. The first bite was on long pole line hard pellet at just after one pm. Orange float tip disappeared, pole raised and tip arced down, elastic started to stretch and ping gone. 15:20 and fish saw in my right side margin so over it we go with 6 red maggots on the hook. 15:30 float slides under, pole raised and laccy comes out and 3 minutes later a sigh of relief as at least I am not water licked.  15 minutes later float slid under again and fish engaged but managed to rub into a tree branch in the water and shed its hook. Hey ho on the weigh in I was not alone with a single fish.

Hard pellet, wafters, corn, maggot, all tried and tried again. On feeding normally you witness fizzing from feeding fish, not today. There was the occasional one topping and bow waves but not like our previous Holmedale excursions. After the match Steve Carter walked to the bay and said it was rammed solid with fish.
Around the lake, first chuck Indians method tip went round nd fish in net. This was closely followed by Kev Chalk landing one and then Andy Waite, expectations were high. Then the wait for repeat bites started. Andy managed to catch on rod and long pole. Indian had his best run on bomb rod, kev Chalk caught on rod and pole as well.

Max next door was in my camp, also biteless until about 2pm when he snared one from his margin, another long gap and he chucked his bomb rod out whilst his sorted something out I believe and the tip went round to land his second. A third from margin followed by anothourer on the time out but he lost that one unfortunately.

On the weigh in we started with a club champion Steve Curtis who was on end peg 56 and weighed in 56-6 for another match win. Well done Steve who started the match disappointed to find all the edge reeds have been removed so it was a bare bank. Most of his fish were on his trusty rod and one on pole line.

3rd section winner on peg 48 was Chalky with 27-2, and second in section on peg 52 Big John Lanelly.

Second section winner was Andy Waite, peg 40  who had caught well most of the match on tip rod and long pole line. I was surprised his weight was 40lb however the stamp of fish was smaller than I thought. Second in section was Indian on peg 42 for 20 lbs. Bomb rod and long pole again the tools that worked.

First section winner was Steve Carter from fancied end peg 27 with 56-2 and just 4 ounce short of a match win. Well fished Steve. Second in the first section was Mick Roche who opened his summer league campaign with 18-6 from peg 32. Well done Mick.

The single fish club were yours truly, Smiler and John Utting who had been for a cheeky practise however this was before the cold rain and overnight frosts.

The biggest fish campaign has also started and Steve Carter taking the lead with a fully scaled carp of 9lb 9oz.

The weigh in also revealed a few skimmers and even Gudgeon in the nets, not seen these guys for a while.  Hard pellet seems to be the most effective bait around the lake.

Thank you Jasper for the organisation and setting the match up, Steve for  the weighing in and everyone who stuck it out on a difficult day.

Next match is in 2 weeks time on the 29th at Lodge farm on Long Island Lake. Plenty to confirm and pay on please to help in the organisation.

Also please note there is a Prostate cancer charity match on the 6th May with limited places available if you are able to attend, please let us know. Any raffle prizes also appreciated for this event, all for a good cause.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Splendid write up again leo,peg 56 for me did not fancy it with some poor results at that end recently and not much enthusiasm from the pellet shed but it was an end peg,started across on feeder for 40 mins and not an indication of any kind,reeled back in and bumped a fish half way back so chucked to the middle and got 3 carp in 3 chucks sorted but no nothing,had seen kev chalk catch one but no one else,chucked down the far bank and picked a couple up,kept trying pole but only a foot deep to the left and 2 foot in front did not expect much and thats what i got only managed 1 on it all day.finished with 10 bites 9 fish and 1 foul hooker to win on a very hard day for most

steelcowboy