News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 1 Grange park new Lake 5-11-2022

Started by Leo Martin, November 05, 2022, 21:51:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Winter league round 1 Grange Park New Lake 5.11.2022

2022-2023 winter league has seen a massive uplift in membership which is a testament to the strength of the club and its members, thank you. Not sure if this is down to the slight change in format with a greater variation of venues booked or people feel they are missing out of the warmth of the winter league faithful? Our leader has also introduced a one on one random match format within the match as well just to add a little extra spice and competitiveness to the day.

Since the summer league ended we have seen quite a lot more rain tip down and the overnight temperatures have also taken a dive as well with a frost Thursday night as well. The clocks have also altered and tee shirts and shorts replaced with winter clothing.

Thank you to Jasper for the Friday night draw despite not fishing with us and peg 4 came out as my office of the day which I was pleased with. Big Mark to my right, Guru Robson to my left and then Indian who was trying to get inside Robsons head from the off but it didn't distract him one little bit.

Healthy breakfast this week of shreddies, red fruit and orange juice, none of this high carb greasy stuff the Big Bash breakfast club feast on for this finely tuned athlete. Loading the car a rainbow could be seen in the direction of Messingham, could this be an omen?
For those who have not seen it yet, the fishery is once again undergoing a major overall. The café lake is empty and being excavated to major new depths and will hopefully transform its capability to the same extent the new lake is now showing. Despite the dip in temperatures and rain the new lake has still being showing good weight returns, then the big Bash turn up......

With 16 anglers on the new lake, everyone has plenty room and the fresh water from the café lake has topped it up to the platforms. At 2+2 there was almost a full topkit in depth which I believe suits it well.

Plan today was feeder, Bomb rod, 2+2 at 11 o'clock, I also set a line up near pads to my right and a margin to behind the sedges on the left. 8mm pellet main bait although I did try 6's corn and meat.
Whistle off time keeper Glen and the majority of our anglers chucked out rods. Rain was falling steady and an awkward wind at our end of the lake, head on for Indian and Robson. The top end of the lake looked to be flat calm and in a different much warmer place to the bottom end.

I have tried to scale down for this winter and swapped method feeder for a small dura feeder. Not sure if it worked today on this lake but with micros and an 8mm on offer the first bite came after half an hour quickly followed by a second one. The fish made me wait for a third bite which was the order of my match. The word was to fish between ¾  across to middle being more productive than chucking to island. This is where the deeper water was and looking around, most people chucked to this area in front of them. Bites dried up despite trying in several areas so onto pole line but here I was troubled with bitty bites despite the 8mm pellets. I did get a few out but again long waits between bites and lots of foul hookers despite being full depth.  I also tried the pads to my right where I was told fish had been caught earlier in the week however no bites all time off this line. At 2:30 I went in my margin to the right behind some reeds with meat as hook bait. First in, 4lber, second lost one, 3rd took me behind my keepnets and off. Only managed to get another out of this line before the early finish. 25-4 and thanks for coming, another match to cast off as a distant memory. As always I enjoyed my day fishing and the company, wish I could do it more often. 

Mark to my right also started on his method rod and had 3 before my first one. He also was hunting his swim for bites near, far and trying to chase them down as they moved around the lake. He made a move onto his pole line and around 1pm the fish seemed to have settled on his bait and he wasn't going to change again. This last couple of hours he consistently put fish in his nets as he tried to grab the bragging rights in his house for the night from bagger Sam. Well done Mark on the second in section pipping Tackletart next door.
Guru Robson to my left does what he does best in rotating his lines and making good decisions when to swap and change. Feeder near, feeder far, various pole lines and his margins all reaped rewards. His last half hour taking him past Indian for a section win.

Although the match started in rain fall it did clear up and we had the odd shower in the afternoon again. The wind consistent in direction blowing right to left causing a left to right undertow. As Glen blew his end of match whistle at 3pm a heavier shower came down but thankfully it was short lived.
With Steve weighing in again, assisted by Sam and Robson, thank you guys.

We welcomed Steve Jackson to the Big Bash fold for our winter league and sitting on hot peg 23 took full advantage for a match win with 88-6. Welcome and well done sir.
Section 1 winner Steve Curtis peg 10 just pipped for the match win with 87lb. Second in section 1 Mark Radford peg 6 with 58-4.
Section 2 winner Bagger Sam Radford peg 19 with 76-0, second in section dark horse John Utting peg 17with 60-15
Section 3 winner Guru Robson peg 37 49-12, second in section Indian peg 35 with 43-10.
So the weights may be different to matches earlier in the week but there have been some colder nights and more cold water in. Everyone has caught a few fish and the weight returns are decent for winter league returns, well done everyone.

Also to add a little more completion to the day there is the individual one on one match league running. So not only are you fishing for section points you can also be fishing against someone potentially on the opposite side of the lake. My partner this week was Adam who pegged on 21 took the golden nugget with 28-4, well done Adam. Dad and lad pairing saw Sam take home the bragging rights although I guess this is eased for Mark a little with his 2nd in section brown envelope.

November 19th is our next encounter on the opposite side of the road, Big Swan and I guess the rods with big pellets will be chucked again although silvers and crucians could come into play as well. Anglers to confirm and pay on please in a timely manner.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Thanks Leo, top write up as usual. It's like being there only warmer  ;D

jasper31

Brilliant write up buddy and well fished everyone with some good weights

Result sheet attached
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Peg 10 for me not been the best area but fish showing all round so remained hopeful, good company with kieth on 8 and Glen on 12,started across but realy struggled, kieth was catching shorter than me across,tried shorter but still could not get them going just an odd fish.Tried pole but nothing was going nowhere. Fed 6 mm pellets just past half way from the off and tried there half way through and started to get a few then had a decent hour,thought it was close between me and kieth but a 10lb fish in last half hour tipped it my way.finished with 86lb which I was happy with after the first 2hrs of not catching. Weighed in and all had a few got to peg 23 which had been the form peg of late and steve had 88lb to beat me which made me regret my missing the net with a 3lb fish but thats fishing.