News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Summer league round 14 Springvale Duchess 8.10.22

Started by Leo Martin, October 09, 2022, 09:08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Summer league round 14 Springvale Duchess Lake 8.10.2022

Well this can be a very short write up for my visit to Spingvale of all places. Everyone loves to talk about red letter days, this one was more a black armband day I suppose in fishing a terrible match from start to finish.

The weather is transforming from summer to autumn, rain and wind becoming more frequent however for the Big Bash the sun was shining, the wind had dropped and my consolation of the day and match fee was to sit in the lovely peaceful outdoor fresh air and sunshine. The howling wind and rain of Friday had moved on thank fully.

18 Bashers circled Jaspers Friday night wheel of fortune and peg 26 was delivered to yours truly. One to the left of where I was last time. Duchess lake is a fairly even lake with good pegging distance, central islands and being a 30 peg lake give our club membership the best chance of not sharing ( we did last time which made it tight) a second club match.
Well-spaced out this time, in talking distance I found John Utting to my right, Big John Lanelly and Kev Chalk opposite and Smiler tucked in the right hand corner. I say tucked in the corner it was 3 attempts to get him on the correct peg again but it's all good fun on the day.

Anyhow the intel I had gleaned was usual for Springvale, silvers or carp, shallow, full depth or margins. Feeder and Bomb to island, 2+2 lines one pellet one maggot and I chose left hand margin after speaking to John who had visited the fishery twice in the week and actually sat on peg 26.
To sum the match up quickly and as painless as possible nowt worked.

Silvers were 2 to 3 inch roach despite where I presented maggots. Feeder, one liner, pellet deep I lost one carp, margins I lost 3 fish but did manage another bloody 3 inch roach with 8 maggots on a size 14 hook! With only 3 inch roach on my maggot lines I chose all out carp approach but nothing to show for it.

I guess I need to invest a little ore prep time before the next match as with one thing and another the tackle has not been touched since Grange Park. Not good enough Leo as you get out what you put in I suppose. Still I did enjoy the day sat in the fresh air, wouldn't say chilled out as frustration sets in but with the Bashers it is spent with good company.

John Utting next door made a good decision early on with a change to silvers and had good spells of Ide on his maggot line. Fishing to the side of his feed gave a better stamp of fish, (for me no difference). He tried all his tactics from the id week visits but the carp were not either there or playing. Across the lake John and Kev also swapped and changed lines to keep fish moving into their keep nets. Big John got giddy mid-afternoon as he requested a 4th net making us wonder if he was having a red letter day. Smiler also kept his fish topping up his silver net and managed a couple of carp late on form his margins.  The carp defiantly were not feeding at our end of the lake however this is no excuse for my own exploits now cast to a distant memory.

On the other end of the lake however Joe Martin on peg 15 took the match out with some margin munters with 153.11 racing the scales, well done Joe.
Section winners were
peg 3  John Lanelly 55.11, 2nd section peg 4 Kev Chalk 37.15,
Indian peg7  56.12, 2nd section peg 5 Mick Roach 40.9,
On peg 14 Steve Curtis 121.2, 2nd in section on peg 19 Steve Guy 95.3,
1st in 4th section Andy Waite on peg 22 weighed  117.7 and second in section Max 102.8 from peg 24.
Well done everyone.

There were mixed back up weights from 20s to 50s so all in all a good match day for the club again with everyone getting bites and  catching a few.

Thank you to Jasper for running the show, Steve for weighing in duties and we look forward to the next outing back to Lindholme Laurels on 22nd October for our last match of the year. Still plenty to confirm and pay on this one so if you can please indicate intentions on the forum it would be good for our admin. It is also intended to hold our AGM after this match so we can try ensure a good attendance.

Apologies for shooting off after the match but I thought I would give Steve a rest of his scales arm.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Nice write up as usual Leo. "More to fishing than catching fish".

fishfinder

Peg 14 for me happy enough with plenty of room this time,feeder to island, top 4 and edge rig ,feeder across at start and struggled, odd carp but slow, Joe next to me was bagging on maggot with decent ide,after 3 hrs had about 5 carp,had tried pole and paste for few bits,set up a maggot rig in desperation with my edge maggots and after 4 roach chucked that,back on feeder picking odd one up but could see both Andys and Steve guy were smashing me up.fed towards the corner heavily with 6mm pellets and with just over an hour to go chucked over it and had 1 after 3 minutes then had a good last hour on this line to give me 2nd in match,a well done to Joe who fished a near perfect match catching ide on maggot for 4hrs then edge for last 2.well done.

jasper31

Wasn't me!

Joemartin28

After the Friday night draw my first thoughts was I'm up against it with having mr Curtis next door, jasper and young Sam on my left bank and a lonely mr guy on the right bank. Started top kit +1 on double maggot had a few small roach but not long until the good stamp ide moved in and went for a second silver net after a couple of hours. Started getting small roach so in went a big pot of maggot and the bomb went out down the middle in open water where I had blasted a few 6mm pellets when round after 5 minutes with a decent carp but then nothing on the next couple of chucks. Big pot micros and corn around 1:30 down the right margin then straight back into them ide on short line for about another 20lbs of ide then I saw some movement down my margin at 2 o'clock first drop a big mirror carp and they kept coming until the end on double corn. Think the wind and the room help me out a bit but happy with the first bash win some top anglers to beat but the thing that matters most  I've levelled the playing field with scott and he is bitter 🤣. Looking forward to the last match. Hope the write up is  ok never live up to of of Leo's though.

Leo Martin

Thank you for sharing your match win methods Joe, great write up and account of your day. I'm sure Scott will appreciate this information for future reference
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Good dangling and good write up. Still waiting for Scott's report on his win at Wetlands, perhaps you could give him some pointers. 😁

jasper31

Quote from: steve on October 12, 2022, 07:52:12
Good dangling and good write up. Still waiting for Scott's report on his win at Wetlands, perhaps you could give him some pointers. 😁

>:D >:D >:D >:D
Wasn't me!