News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Knock up Hayton little grebe 30.4.2022

Started by Leo Martin, April 30, 2022, 23:18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash AC knock up Hayton Lakes little Grebe 30.4.2022.

The knock ups offer a chance for a smaller group of our members to get together for light hearted matches in between the summer league matches. Booked at short notice on an impromptu basis they also offer up a chance to fish different venues as trials as generally the more popular fisheries are all booked up. To find a fishery at short notice for about 10 or 12 anglers takes some doing and this week's knock up gave us a visit to Hayton lakes on Little Grebe Lake. Previously our club had fished Kingfisher Lake which is the largest one on the complex and I believe we shared the lake with another club on our outing. It had mixed reviews if I remember correctly.

Little Grebe lake is rectangular in shape with a central island down the centre about 30m or so chuck to it. Park behind your peg and the pegs are reasonably spaced out. Some have reeds in margins, some have a tree over the margins, and others have no margin features at all. The island is mostly a mud bank but there are some areas with sedges to chuck to.  The margins vary from a few inches to 3 feet if you have a feature to fish to, otherwise you have no margin swim. The main body of water is deep, very deep. Today the water was gin clear in the sides however it was very dark in the centre due to the depth of water. 

Good access to the lake, not too far from our base circuit, clear signposting and sensible rules with any pellets can be used. Lots of positives. For our club, it would suit our size to pick the lake so a good choice on that front to trial and see what happens.

I struggled with information prior to the match as there seems very few mentions on the internet about Little Grebe with regard to stamp of fish, type of fish, methods, depths, baits etc. could this be an omen for the day?

10 members chose to fish the day and venue going into the bank holiday weekend. Bright sunshine, very few clouds in the sky, 5 degrees whilst driving there but the temperature would get much higher throughout the day and layers were coming off setting the tackle up.

We were pegged from 20 to 37 and most of us had a spare peg between us. I was handed peg 30 form the wheel of fortune which meant nothing at all to me and I guess we were all in the same boat. Mark to my right and Joe to my left although banter, wit and "advice of sorts" was flying all the way along the lake. What did you catch that one on John, a hook was his reply. Good old Mr Utting who was on fine form today as he was lucky enough to be catching fish.

Being a knock up I set up bomb and method for chucks across, a margin rig for below an overhanging tree to my right and I fancied a play with a slow sinking feeder rig.
Well match went like this, no bites all time until 2.30 and the float tip dipped on double corn on my margin rig. Missed it. Back in and I managed to snare the second bite with an angry mirror carp who was successfully netted for 6-14 and an avoidance of the DNW club. One more bite was missed around 3.30 again on double corn on a small hook. Well done Leo.

John Utting and John Lanelly were the first ones to catch and did have a relatively busy match compared to everyone else. My Lanellys fish came mostly from fishing to his reeds alongside his peg for section win of 46-4, whilst Mr Utting was having success on feeder to island and later on the pellet waggler I believe to record second in section of 37-11. Jasper had 2 tiny perch and a couple of carp, method across and bomb in middle of track for 14-3. About 2pm the fish appeared everywhere on the surface cruising and sunbathing. Joe was pas the point of no return and took up the challenge, he had been fishing shallow for a while but they took to try mug one, and then shallow on long pole. They were tormenting him something chronic as they cruised past his offering. One was hooked and lost before finally he managed to snare one and save his DNW. Well done Joe on 4-3

Mark to my right tried all tools in his armoury as did Glen who also had a very frustrating day. We then move along the bank to our young guns. Sam found his fish in the margins and took full advantage to win the match with 56-5, well done sir. Robson next along also showed his metal and weighed in 12.12 for section win by default, well done sir.  On our other end peg was Mally who had 4 bites, 2 hooked and lost but did manage a default second in section via a bingo draw, well done Mally.

A long hard day at the office for all and well done everyone for sticking it out.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire