News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 10 Springvale First spring March 5th

Started by Leo Martin, March 05, 2022, 22:06:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash AC 2021-22 Winter league round 10 Spring vale First spring 5.3.2022

Yes its March already, the nights are drawing out, birds getting chirpy and frisky, daffodils in flower is spring coming early?
Well the weather today definitely wasn't spring with a bitterly cold wind, occasional light showers, winter wasn't ready to let go yet. The temperature had dipped again to about 4 degrees but this wasn't allowing for wind chill effect. Thermal's and numerous layers of clothing was the order of the day for most Bashers to keep the cold at bay.
10 winter league stalwarts and joined by 4 riders to make up 3 sections and we were given the low numbers of the lake which had a small match on the opposite bank who had the wind on their backs.

Peg 14 came off the wheel of fortune on Jaspers Friday night draw for yours truly, naughty boy corner again but not complaining as it was an end peg when everyone else was peg to peg. Not fished down this end before so we give it a go.

Warm greeting from the lovely owner Sue who was on bait duty at the gatehouse, nice level road to the pegs where you park behind every peg which is very much appreciated. With all the recent rain the water level in First Spring was very high and almost topping over the end of the lake between pegs 14 and 15.
Set up was maggot feeder, shotgun feeder for pellets and waggler rod again. Top 2 + 2 pole line and margin line top 2 + 3 into the corner where the wind was blowing into.
Whistle clearly heard off time keeper Glen and I went on maggot feeder for first half hour.
Peg 14 is the corner peg on entrance road at bottom of the lake. Depth 4-5 feet at top 2+2 in front and 2feet in margin about 2 feet away from banking, there is a Pampas type sedge to the middle of the bottom bank and an aerator to the side of it. Peg 15 , 16 were also empty and most of the whole bay to chuck into avoiding Paul Whitehouse on peg 13 who shared the bay with me.

Maggot feeder peppered around the aerator and pampas style sedge for one small 3 inch long skimmer, but at least it was a fish.
Wagler then chucked out whilst trying to catty maggots out in the wind but could not get a bite on that either.
11:15 and out with shotgun feeder and yellow washter to see if this would help. 15 minutes later struck into a fish but lost same. 20 minutes later a slow bite and then hit something solid. Carp around 9lb safely lander after ten minutes playtime trying to protect the 18 hook and 4lb hook length line.
It went very quite then and must have been about an hour before another bite, 2lb carp. Quiet again so went on pole line using corn as bait but no bites all time again.
I could not string 2 bites together at all, you caught a fish then went hunting for another. Last hour was probably most lively after seeing Paul had found a few casting across to the far bank, I followed suit and ended up with a couple of skimmers, an Ide and about 6 carp for24-4 and thanks for coming. Nothing on wagler, nothing on pole lines at all. 1 fish on maggot and nothing on corn at all.

Paul on peg 13 had mostly silvers in his net until just before last hour when he increased his method size and chucking across managed to get a good run of carp together for 54-12, well done Paul.

Match winner was Indian this week with 57-10 off peg 8, well done Kev. Closely pushed by Steve Curtis 57-3 off fancied peg 1, well done Steve.

Well done other section winners and packet pickers on a bitterly cold day and everyone else fishing in the cold day.

Thank you to Jasper for admin and organising again, Steve for the weighing in and Glen on his whistle.

Next and final match of the winter league 19th March at Grange Park Heron, confirmations and payment's required please.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Peg 1 for me a good summer peg but a bit shallow for winter,was hoping for a few down the reeds,got there,freezing cold, wind in our faces,the reeds up the side have been mostly taken out just a few stick ups then the small match opposite had 3 anglers opposite us,wasn't looking good.Started on trusty method chucking towards middle and had a good first hour with 5 carp for 30lb but a bit of a false dawn as only 1 in 2nd hour then they shut down at our end and an odd one was caught through the rest of the match, after a couple of hours decide to try down the stick ups,but was deterred slightly by the angler opposite who decides to chuck past half way to the same place I was going to chuck had to look twice to see if Andy waite had moved pegs.Got a couple late on and a few skimmers to finish just ounces short of kev who caught late on,think the fish moved down away from the anglers ,in latter part of the match as most further down caught late on.Well done to all on a very cold day.

Indian

Peg 8 for me didn't mean anything as only fished lake once in peg 3 arrived to see wind straight across at us and gusting so decided  pole and wag  were out so set up hybrid feeder maggot feeder and bomb started on bomb and bread 10 min casts third cast on 8mins wrap round carp of about 8lb carried on for a further 20 mins but no more indications so started to feed corn about 15 to 20 meters out caught carp ide and big skimmers 2 o'clock tried maggot feeder at 13m for a few ide still feedig corn at 15 to 20m rested for 30 mins back in on corn and 2 fish within minutes of each other and one in last 5 mins

jasper31

How the hell did you manage to feed corn in that wind, i threw maggots out and they landed behind me!!!

Peg 11 and after last years performance (last) on same peg i wasn't expecting much.

Started on maggot feeder for first hour and catching well with some nice ide and big skimmers - then Gavin caught a carp on method so knew i had to change. Threw method at opposite peg and was picking off carp going fish for fish with Gavin.

I had fed pole line and at 2ish decided to have a go on pole - caught straightaway with big skimmers and a few smaller ones but the wind was too bad and effecting presentation - went back on method for a couple more.

Ended up with 41lb just a couple of lb better than Gavin (so my pole line did it) but in the last hour of the match Paul Whitehouse couldn't get his rod in quick enough and he flew past us all and nearly won it...well done buddy.

Well done Indian on the match win

Results sheet below
Wasn't me!

Indian