Main Menu

Round 1 - Lindholme - Bonsai 6th Nov

Started by jasper31, November 08, 2021, 15:47:53

Previous topic - Next topic

jasper31

Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Big Bash 2021 winter League 6.11.21  round 1 Lindholme Bonsia
Fishing this years winter league unusually as a rider and along with others the numbers made up to a nice round 15 for Jaspers Friday night draw. As a club we were handed the outer pegs and plenty of room with empty pegs between us. The central inner pegs were also left empty which would have been for the Linndholme firework display. It must also be said that Lindholme did not seem very busy this weekend, not sure if most clubs are cleaning or mothballing their tackle for the colder months?
Peg 39 home for the day, I wasn't too displeased, island to the front and also gap between islands and a tree to my right for a margin line. I guess this can be a very short write up at this stage as my weigh in results show 1lb 8 ounce and Steve Curtis back not troubled one little bit. Looking down the weights I seem to be in good company with everyone struggling for bites and fish. Maybe its because our summer league is over and the Winter league has started in earnest?
Scores on the door were 4 bites, 2 skimmers, one fish pulled out of and one missed bite in the 5 hour match, happy days.
We should try focus on the positives I suppose, the weather was dry in the most, the swirling Lindholme wind was a pain at times and chilled the air. When the sun was allowed out by the clouds it was a very nice autumnal day I suppose. The rain did threaten at 14:30 but fortunately held off and didn't soak us all or our tackle. We could park behind our pegs and no long walk, My concrete platform was dry so no muddy footwear. My maggots lasted from last weekend and were in great condition but I don't think the fish was a pleased as I was. The Big Bash company I shared the day with was great as always and unusually this is 2 Saturdays on the trot I have been able be out in the fresh air fishing and chilling out.
Glen Turner back guesting with us again after a little lay off fishing to my right and worked his Lindholme magic and knowledge to extract fish throughout the match. Bomb to his island and pole lines he managed a real mixed bag of small f1s skimmers, a nice Tench and a lovely decent sizes perch. Well done Glen, good to see you back at the side of the lake.
Our latest newcomer Mally was to my right and unfortunately lost 2 at the net which would have tripled his score and weight. He was more visible this week as he was doubly wrapped up with a dark oversuit over his camouflage Onesie which we struggle to see him in. Unfortunately he had a flat tyre found at the end of the match. Good friend Big John Lanelly was supervising the tyre exchange to ensure they could get home for Bonfire party with John showing concern his jacket spuds would be overcooked.
Before the match and Gavin the other side of Glen went walk about forgetting about the ravenous and thieving Lindholme wildfowl. The 3 rogue Bonsai geese spotted the opportunity and attacked his bait on display on his side tray with vigour.
Anyhow the most important part. Well done Andy Waite on his match win on end peg 45 with 29—11. Well done section winners Paul Whitehouse end peg 14 with 19-10, Max on peg 30 with 22-9 and Glen Turner on 31 with 24-3.  Jasper was able to spread the money and pay out 2nd in sections, well done guys.
Thank you once again to Jasper running the show and Steve C for weigh in duties. Massive well done everyone else sticking it out on a pretty poor day, I can't imagine what it would have been like if we had been peg to peg.
Next winter league match 20th November however due to fishery ongoing works the pegs are limited. I don't think the bites will be somehow.

Go on then guys, post your accounts of the day
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Excellent write up buddy...my day went like this

Turned up................ >:D

Looking at results from the festival i was quite optimistic to get a few bites, what i didn't know was the strong wind coming.

Started at 14M feeding small nuggets of ground bait and fishing maggot and for first hour had a few bits skimmers / chub / roach for a couple of pound, then the wind got up and blew too much as couldn't present a bait out there.
Tried feeder / bomb / corn / bread / maggot feeder....had a few small fish but nothing - it didn't help watching Paul drag in a carp that was bigger than all my fish together... ;D

Went down edge feeding maggots and micros and after an hour got a bite - large perch!! then lost 2 more before the whistle blew....

Very surprised that 9lb was enough for 2nd in section....
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Was not hopeful when I saw Tommy pickering had won our area with 37lb the day before and there was only 6 anglers in the same pegs we were in ,put a few micros and maggots in at 8m and few in edge ,chucked method and bomb about nothing in 2hrs then got an f1 on method and maggot,then nothing for an hour, nothing on 8m with maggot and soft pellet not a bite,1 skimmer on the short line then had a bit of a run with 4 f1s in an hour,1 more and a perch in last hour all on maggot and method,8 fish and 10 bites all day,others either side were struggling worse than I was I could see max round the corner getting a few but he was miles from me,a hard day all round,it did not improve my low appinion of the place.

steelcowboy

I love winter fishing probably  more than the summer the only problem is I can no longer stand the COLD or the rain and especially if it's blowing as well !!!   Jasper talked me into coming telling me the forecast was good and needed 1 more to make 15 . So like an idiot I said yes which I regretted straight away 😏 but as always once committed you've just got to turn up.
I had seen the festival results and knew Bonsia was not fishing well and when I drew peg 30 I Knew I was in for a hard match with a target of trying to catch around 10lb . The winner was obviously going to come from any peg in the 40s as this is deeper water and where the fish tend to end up in winter.
I arrived as most of you was already tackling up but I knew setting up a bomb rod and two pole rigs wasn't going to take me much more than 30 minutes so headed to the cafe for a small breakfast ( which was ok but not a patch on the Messingham breaky 😏)

Called into the shop for my 4 pint of maggots a quick chat to some of the lads then onto my peg for a very quick set up .

I knew the wind was going to get up and change direction to a rig for the edge which caught nothing ! 9' Shimano X7 bomb rod set up and two rigs set up to fish at top2 + 3 . Rig 1 was a 4x12 carbon stem and the 2nd rig 4x16 wire stem

I caught two very small F1s on the bomb n corn feeding a full tin during the match but fished the pole down one hole for most of the match, ended up feeding 3pts of maggots for 2 decent perch , 1 big F1 a couple of small F1s and in the last 45minutes some decent skimmers turned up .

Enjoyable day and if all winter days was as pleasant as this (apart from the wind) I would fish every week

More than happy with 22lb felt I had fished a good match for a change was also nice if unexpected to not be sludged upto the eyeballs but think that will change very quickly .

Hopefully with a couple of kind forecasts and if room might jump on as rider over the winter tight lines everybody and good luck with the winter League 👍