News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2022 Big Bash Legends Weekend 4-5/6/2022

Started by Leo Martin, June 05, 2022, 23:31:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash AC Legends weekend 2022.

With the Royal Jubilee celebrations there was a shuffle of bank holidays such that our Legends weekend offered a chance of an extension from the usual 2 days we spend. Bashers being bashers and some not to miss an opportunity 4 took up the offer and the usual 2 nights were duly extended to 3.

First to arrive was Glen who after a breakfast and depositing his electric cool-box in Aarons tackle shop to borrow some leccy and keep its contents chilled for later. Glen then camped outside the lodge fishng Bonsai for a few hours till the rest of us arrived later in the day. Indian, Jasper and yours truly bringing up the rear.
Pizza for tea washed down with a selection of bottles / cans to quench the thirst.

Friday we had managed to book on a Lindholme angling club charity match which was a mystery pairs event held across Laurels and willows. The weather was sunny, and nice and warm and fish were topping around the lakes. It's been a while since Bash anglers dipped hands into the bag of dreams to select their pegs which resulted in Indian sitting on Laurels and Glen, Jasper and myself on Willows. Topped up by a legendary Indian breakfast the 10:30 match start seemed a little strange but we wasn't going to get hungry today. Match over, Andy W8 had arrived so we sauntered across for a pint or two and Glen and Kev managed to receive a brown envelope as the pairs were drawn and weights totalled up. Chinese on the menu tonight, more liquid refreshment and a surprise treat for birthday boy Jasper from Glen as only he could deliver this one. Thankfully it didn't happen when the facetime live draw was taking place.

Saturday morning and Chef Indian up point again with his breakfast which starts with night time preparation and cooker fired up at 6am sharp, 3 gas rings, oven and microwave all in full flow. Fully charged up we set off to our pegs on Beeches to meet the rest of our club members for the league match ad Ferrets trophy. The difference in weather from Friday to Saturday was massive. Shorts, tee shirts were replaced for tracksuits, fleeces and coats. This reflected in the fishing as most struggled for bites and it was hard for most with carp or F1's playing hide and seek and you cannot find us. Pressure was on yours truly having drawn peg 33 where Glen had visited one afternoon earlier in the week and caught "a few". Glen helpful as ever had said how to fish from his experience and as unusual as ever I behaved and stuck to the plan supplied by Glen. No joy what so ever as the carp didn't show up until 45 minutes left in match where I managed to get one out and loose 2 more. Nothing from the early banker line or secondary line either. Andy W8 caught on his tip rod, pole out in front and his left hand again entertained him at times as the carp found sanctuary in sedges and under growth. Indian struggled next door on all lines for consistent bites. Feedback from around the lake also had people struggling and the last hour arrival of carp was a get out of jail card for many.

Well done to Steve Curtis on the lake win and he was thankful for a good last hour on his tip rod which helped boost his weight. This gives Steve Ferrets trophy as we remember our Ferret and jack who are non-longer with us. Thank you for respecting the minutes handclap prior to match starting.  Well done to other packet pickers as well.
Saturday night is BBQ night and this was on the go as the draw for the mystery pairs took place. Lads are no getting a little tired now but still as jovial as ever with jokes and banter a plenty. BBQ was a warm comfort and it was again another cold night. The Lodge menu is strictly for carnivores so veggies please beware.

Sunday morning match was our own mystery pairs match and to aid the admin the pairs were drawn the night before live. Match being on willows which was Jacks favoured lake on the complex. Another cold night and threat of rain and weather warnings in place. Great support from our members and guests to increase on last years numbers. Quite a few fishing both matches as well, thank you.

Rain duly arrived to dump more cold water in the lake, however a few more fish topping than in Beeches the day earlier. From my peg 42 Mike Roche caught on short pole, long pole and bomb rod. Keith opposite me had fish on tip rod, long, short pole and his margin to his right. Andy w8 in the bay opposite did what Andy does and rotated various lines to catch off most of them. Young Sam on point also rotated lines from out in front to each margin below his trees to regularly top up his net. Fish were finicky and never seemed to settle for those on them but it seemed a much more active day than Saturdays match. Rain came, stayed for a couple of hours, went than came back again, it was a wet one.

Payout on this one is as per pairs and Glen and Young Sam took the honours, well done. Mike Roche and Andy W8 2nd place and 3rd and 4th also paid out. Special mention to my partner Scott who read my mind and realised if you are not going to win the money you may as well take the bottles of wine for propping up the rest of the anglers form below.
So that is another Legends weekend over for 12 months. Really enjoyable weekend with great company, food and liquid aint too bad either. Yes its tiring but certainly recharges the batteries and planning for 2023 starts in earnest. Any other members who want to join, please flag this up early so accommodation can be sought. Mally, John Utting, Foxy? Any takers?
Thank you to my lodge mates for once again a great for days and nights. Thanks you to Fiona and Mrs W8 for their excellent cup cakes and lemon drizzle cake. Thank you for Jaspers organisation, Steve C, and Lewis for weighing in duties and Glen on his whistle.

Big Bash welcome to Ricky who made his Bash Debut after a long lay off from fishing, well come back, hope you have caught the bug again.

One standout thing I feel I must mention which we witnessed is a young lad in the first lodge all the time we were in Mallard lodge. He fished alone and with his dad and caught quite a few. He was even sat under a brolley as we left Sunday afternoon. Without help he was looking after everything himself but the fish care steps were exceptional. Unhooking mat, damping fish down during process, resting fish in net before release. No electric gadgets for this lad, he loved his fishing and if all youngsters have his care and skills in our sport the fish are very safe.

Back on the road in 2 weeks time to Wetlands, members to conform and pay on please.

Meanwhile we need to try dry our gear out........
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Mr w8

Any lake other than beaches think willows was Jack's favorite lake

big glen

I will go along with Willows,  as it was Jack's favourite lake ., I am also OK with Loco for the Sunday .
Bring it on can't wait.

Indian

fishfinder

Peg 7 for me,a barrow job.Got to peg and realised it was the same peg I struggled on last year.Set up bomb,feeder and margin rigs.started on bomb 25m ,feeding 6mm and fishing 6 and 8mm pellets, nothing ,tried feeder on same line couple of small ide,margin on paste for just a couple of pound of bits.Continued to feed bomb line,tried it several times but nothing.With 4hrs gone had about 5lb of bits John utting had about the same so was not fishing well ,decided at 2 o'clock to feed margins a bit heavier and chuck feeder for an hour on bomb line to rest margin for last hour assault,to my surprise after 10 mins I got a pull on feeder a 7lb carp then got a bit of a run and in next hour or so got 5 carp and 6 f1s,last half hour in edge got 1 and lost 1.At wiegh in,started at peg 1 and found all had struggled and was surprised that my 56lb had won my section was more than satisfied with that but after weighing the rest in found it had fished no better anywhere and found my measly 56lb had won the match, well happy.