News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Fur and Feather Lindholme willows 23.12.2023

Started by Leo Martin, December 23, 2023, 21:58:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Aquastim Big Bash 2023 Fur and Feather Lindholme Lakes Laurels 23.12.2023

After last years Fur and Feather on an Ice covered Bonsai today was vastly different. Laurels lake was kindly donated by Aaron in full so with 16 Big Basher spaced out we had a lake of two vastly different sides. Oasis side anglers had the wind gusting off the moors and over their backs, Willows side anglers had it full on in the mush with 4inch plus high waves at times. Needless to say to protect carbon a lot of our anglers left their poles in their cars and rods were the weapons of choice. 

The match anglers was a combination of our Summer and Winter league anglers and we welcomed Glenn Turner as a late rider. By tradition it's our last chance to wish Xmas greetings, share gifts and see the old year out and look forward to the tight lines 2024.

Friday night Jaspers wheel of fortune assisted by Busters testing his vocal chords in the background. Peg 2 was delivered to yours truly and I was really pleased with this one, bay in front, corner to chuck to and also aerator for good measure. Wind was howling right to left so it was a rod day and I had set up Bomb, durafeeder and maggot feeder rods . I was told last week the maggot feeder had worked near aerator after a quick chuck around with Bomb I concentrated on maggot feeder, 2 small perch and a Gudgeon for an hours reward so going nowhere.

Jacko on peg 40 set off with a fish fist chuck to side of island, John Lanelly peg 6 had a small skimmer, Jasper had one and Glen on peg 4 had some line bites and a small skimmer from island in front of him.

I swapped and changed, Bomb, feeder, various coloured washters, wafters and also fishery pellets for no bites all time and it wasn't looking good. I decided to chuck to the side of the lake just up from the corner with durafeeder and yellow washter. 5 minutes later rod went round and a much welcome F1 came to the net. 30minutes later a smaller one came in. then nothing. I kept switching lines, baits and rods searching for fish and decided on lunch time. 3 bread discs on Bomb rod to aerator and mid was through my Cornish Pasty and the rod ripped round with an angry carp. Much heavier  than previous and with bites of a premium I took my time ( about 20 minutes) to draw it over the landing net for a welcome addition of a  low double. Its always nervous when this happens as Bashers offer encouragement on one side and banter from the other. Cant say much as I am as bad as most for the pi$$ take, end of day its good fun and part of our club match day. My thrown Pasty had landed just outside maggot tin so rod back out and finish my dinner for not bites all time again.

I did manage a few more F1's and couple of carp from around the area. It fished better when wind eased in afternoon and a broken hook length on another large one cost me. Bread discs on Bomb best bait of day followed but yellow washter with fishery micros on durafeeder. Aerator best location to chuck to. 19-05 and a rare second in section of late. Must have been the captains armband handed to me off indian.......

Big Glen to my left was on rods all day and his success came mostly from end of island, yellow wafter on fishery micros. Skimmers made up his net with some up to a couple of pounds. F1 and carp arrived later in day with one munter making up his weight for a section win recording 28-4. Well done mate.

John Lanelly on peg 6 toiled all day between rods and pole for 11-09 and Nige Cooke made up section 1 fishing mostly to peg 7 platform on long pole for 10-9 it must be said he lost more than one but his Xmas singing of "I wish it could be Ipswich every day" didn't sound anything like Wizzard but brought a smile.

Section 2 winner was Andy Waite  peg 13 34-11 ( and match highest weight) and Second in section Jasper peg 11 with 17-11.
Section 3 winner and second in match was off peg 22 and that man John Utting again with 29—06 and second in section was Gav Cooper who returned 25-10 from peg19.
Final section winner was Indian off peg 36 who weighed in 22-07 and second in section was Jacko on peg 40 who returned 12-01

A mild dry day with a strong gusting cold wind strange for December. Good company makes it all worthwhile and a lot warmer.
Massive thanks as always to Jasper for his leadership and dedication to the club, thank you much appreciated. Today's weigh in was assisted  Nige Cooke, thank you.

The Big Bash Angling Club is an internet based group and members travel from near and far,  Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Sheffield, Worksop, Wakefield, Barnsley, Doncaster to name a few. We also have many Big Bashers "by association" who fish with us when able to do so and match spaces allow. The core group however are not just club members but close friends and as we are getting older one of the main wishes for 2024 is our health and wellbeing so we can do it all again in December 2024.

The next winter league match is January 13th at Grange Park, I think on Curlew which is as always fishing well. Please book on and pay fees.

Also the Summer league membership for 2024 is due to close next week and we only have 2 places left so be quick or regret not joining us on our journey

I wish you and your families a great Xmas and a safe,  healthy and prosperous 2024
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire