News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 16 Sand Piper Lodge Farm 28.10.2023

Started by Leo Martin, October 29, 2023, 09:15:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Aquatstim Big Bash Summer League round 16 Sand Piper Lodge Farm 28.10.2023

28th October and our last Summer season match off 2023, how time flies. Summer League champion crown already I place however the other positions were all up for grabs so game on.  Its also our 3rd visit of the year to this fishery and a favourite haunt of some club members.  Easy to understand why and I am sure as Arnie says, we will be back.  Sand piper has had some difficulties earlier on the year but the management did a sterling job of containment and after re opening the lake the anglers returns have been very commendable. 

17 members paid on and a return of Richard Cooke to the club to make 3 sections of 6 in Jaspers Wheel of fortune.  Pegging included all 4 corners and all others had at least 1 spare peg to their side. The weather had continued to be changeable in temperature and more rainfall. Our day sounded promising, 4 degrees overnight, cloud forecast and late sunshine, some small showers but no heavy downpours.
Peg 14 was my office of the day, pleased with this one as its deeper than the area of my last visit. For neighbours I had Mr Guy esq to my right, Nige Cooke my left in corner, Richard Cooke opposite corner, Chalky and Jon Utting further along bank on opposite side. The lake does off a chance to chat wihth everyone so banter a plenty throughout the day.
Plan was bomb and feeder rod, pole lines 2 + 4, one pellet, one maggot and platform to my right for margin however it was very shallow.
Arrival at the lake and fish were showing in most areas, there was a lot down the middle on surface and feeding bubbles rising invitingly towards centre of lake as well. These soon all stopped when Glen blew his whistle, strange but true.

All in and out with bomb rod, 6mm hard pellet, loose feed over top. 5 minutes in and wrap round, good start, small carp in net. Back out and 15 mutes later and a larger carp in net. This draw a comment from Steve, at "least he will have  something to write about" and yes no more bites on that one.
Switched lines and methods but I was unable to string any bites together the fish were not feeding correctly and continuously on the move. 3pm I had really upped my feed of maggots on the back of some big pots of Aquastim F1 sweet groundbait. A carp followed but large Ide I managed 6 fish in 6 drops on 2+4 line but still had to wait for shy bites to come in.
Ended the day with 21-11 and usual wooden podium place but there is more to fishing than catching fish as I really enjoyed my day and the company of our club members.

Steve to my right on 12 also swapped and changed throughout his day log pole, short pole, shallow and full depth and rods as well. 22-0 to pip me for a good contest, well done mate. Both os us had our best bites from peg 19 and Mr Utting who continued to rise to our banter across the lake. Steve also spent some time in his car either phoning his friend Paul up for advice or consulting his Mr Crabtree  book on fishing.

In Cookie corners we had Nigel on 15 and Richard on 16.
Nige had most of his success on trusty maggot on a short pole line with carp taking a fancy. He lot quite a few foul hookers and I am sure he reverted to the pole because he could not stoop his rod being pulled in on missed bites. At least 2 occasions he got out of jail with his reel catching front leg and keepnet. Great laugh and catch up buddy, Nige returned 36-8 for his endeavour's.
Richard Cooke on 16 back with us after a few years away took the match out. Feeder along edge sedges was main attack although he also caught on pole as well, 76- 8 for a match win and also golden peg, (first and only one of year). Well done and nice to have you back with us.
Chalky to his lef on 17 also tried all things in his armoury, some on pole, some shallow, bomb rod and also some larger beast from his platform to his left lifting his weight to 50lb for second in section. So many lost fish cost him dearly.
On peg 19 John Utting does what he does best and consistently wet his landing net from all methods tried. Despite comments from Steve and myself went on for 1st iin section with 52lb. well done John. One noticeable comment cane from one of Johns spectators who was on walkabout that the match on Thistle behind Sandpiper had some anglers struggling for bites which shows what type of day it was.

First section winner was Tracey Benson on peg 6 with 47-11, second section prize  was Paul Whitehouse on peg 10 with 41-12. Well done guys.

3rd section winner was Mr consistent Jasper on peg 24 who returned 59-1. Second in section was Joe Martin, another constant performer on peg 30 for 56-8. Well done gents.

Strange day with carp a bit iffy and Ide not their  usual greedy feeders. Pellet did not return its usual results and I think maggot was best bait.

Last  match of the year means we say Au Revoir to our summer league members and the nutters winter league starts in a couple of weeks time. Still open for members if you want to wobble your heads and join the league? However if you prefer to sit it out watching You Tube videos, polish your pole and tie hooks, have a great time and see you next year. Please don't forget the F & F as it's a laugh and nice end to the year for the group, please add your names to the list.

Roll of honour for summer league is
Champion Steve Curtis on 13 points 1929 lbs
Second Joe Martin 26 points 1057lbs
Third Jasper weight count back 785 – 13
4th Indian weight count back 733-15.
Biggest fish Steve Curtis Willows Carp 23lb 13.

Well done to the podium guys and to each and everyone making it another enjoyable season for all and great club to fish with.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Chalky