News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 4 Grange Park Heron 13.5.2023

Started by Leo Martin, May 14, 2023, 09:26:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash Aquastim sponsored Summer league round 4 Grange Park Heron 13.5.2023

With the weather picking up, match weights on the climb we were all looking forward to our return Heron (old - new lake) at Messingham Grange Park Fisheries. However in true Big Bash tradition the weather took a dive on Thursday with low overnight temperatures and a cold wind as lower the water temperatures.

16 names entered in the wheel of fortune for Jaspers Friday night draw which does bring in a good audience. As the weather warms up and our host tends to remove certain clothing items we will see it the viewing figures will hold or not.

Peg 6 for yours truly, happy with that one, and in fairness despite the usual moans and groans it is a very fair lake and can be won from many areas. The lake itself is starting to mature and settle with grass around the banks, lily pads and sedges forming around the edges to offer up more features to fish to. Driving down between Heron and Osprey is a massive bonus especially if you get the driving order correct which I failed miserably on this occasion.  Grange Park is a Big Bash breakfast club favourite as for our members as well which is another attraction of the fishery.
Big Glen to my right, big John Lanelly to my right it was to be a chatty day which even dragged in John 20lb Utting, venue expert Steve Curtis and even lonely Indian in naughty boy corner. Good banter and laughs all round.

So plan today was margins left and right, top 2 plus 1 in front pellet line, alongside the pads to my right on top 2 plus 1 and method rod across.

Everyone set up early so lots of roaming and talking and I took my delivery of Aquastim purchased Thursday, kindly delivered Saturday by Jasper, thank you kind sir. Mr Lanelly took to gently blowing in my ear when I was showing John Utting the products but I promised not to tell Glen prior to them going away for a weeks bromance and angling at Docklow.

All in and rod chucked across to other side whilst other swims fed. Glen first put in a fish on his top 2 approach. Steve Curtis a fish on his trusty rod then Jon Lanelly on his method rod as well which was followed by a couple more.  After the quick start then seemed to die down wihth bites at a premium for everyone. To my left John was picking a few up, Steve Curtis also, Glen, myself ad John Utting were struggling. Jasper further up was also cacthing a few on his rod.

Around 1pm something switched on and the fish were there for most. You can always tell a story of Glens match when he goes quiet, very talkative till 1pm then silence as he had an arrival in his margin and strung about 6 fish one after the other in his net. They are queuing up he shouts when questioned and at a similar time Jasper also caught form the margin.  I checked mine and yes they were coming onto Groundbait feed and also hook bait if timing was right. My issue was reeds in my left hand margin and lily pad in the left. The right was best but the fish were between lilies and bank side and yes the crafty buggers were straight into the pads when hooked. I spent about 3 hours in and out these pads, probably lost 20 fish, I even lost some of them when I had got them out and in front due to straightened hooks and breakages as well. Heavier laccy, 12lb line straight through to a size 12 was where I ended up and around 3:15 I managed to start to put one or two I the net. Unfortunately, my frustration, temperament and lack of patience results in moving away from the Queens ( or should it now be kings) English  so apologies for the bad language to my left for . Hook tying and rig making back on agenda for next week or so now. 32-15 and what could have been was the score for the day. I did catch on my feeder on the new Aquastim Strawberry and krill wafer, also made a F1 Aquastim groundbait mix up and was pleased with its mix and consistency.

John Lanelly fished a great match for second in section rom peg 4. Catching on method chucked across intermittently throughout the match. Rotating and having a look on his pole lines and then at the magical 1 oclock fishing to pads on his left he strung some fish together. He also alternated to his right hand margin  to show me how it was done also. 66-5 well done John.

John 20lb Utting in corner peg 2 also reportedly struggled till the afternoon when he topped his 20lb weight up to 48-4. Well done John, never fail to surprise us.
Big Glen on golden peg 10 was struggling until his "arrival". Once they turned up and were feeding he got his head down, the chatting stopped as he concentrated on building his weight up. 63lb was his return for the day, well done and well fished mate.

Jasper won our section with 75-13, a combination of rod work and margin fishing, well done mate.
Match winner was Steve Carter from peg 25 with a 113-2 return, well done sir.
Other second section results were Max peg 21 for 72-7 and Joe corner peg Martin on peg 16 with 57-7. Well done guys.
Third section who else but Steve Curtis with 108-4 from peg 36 and Indian from peg 34 with 54-12. Well done gents.

Some very close back up weights peg to peg, everyone caught a few especially after 13:00, so all hopefully enjoyed the day.

Thank you to Jasper for organising, Steve for weighing in and Glen tooting his whistle.
Net match across the road on Islands Lake so tackle to beef up for that one. Please confirm and pay on. Breakfast club meeting no doubt at Grange Park.

Special request for Ferrets trophy to please  be returned so it can be engraved in advance of our Legends match.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

fishfinder

Peg 36 for me on the shallow bar but was hopeful of a few as weights in the last week had been good,but a couple of cold nights would it affect it.Had a few early on feeder but soon became obvious it was not fishing well,moved about putting odd one in the net on feeder nothing on pole would not come on the bar,few steadu on rod all match to finish with 108lb just failed to win,2nd half of the match it thankfully fished a bit better.