News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Round 6 Messingham Sands Island Lake

Started by Leo Martin, February 13, 2023, 19:52:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Winter league round 6 Messingham Sands islands Lake 4.2.2023
We went into this weekend's match on the back of a dry windy spell and an uplift in temperature. Even the sun shone Friday so hopes were high for a pleasant day and maybe a fish or two. Personally, the winter has been nothing short of crap with poor weights all the way along so surely I must be due a few.

Friday night draw night and finally the draw gods were shining down as the wheel of fortune stopped on peg 54, a decent peg which I guess anyone would have taken.

Arrived first on the lake and it was flat calm, birds were chirping and no fish showing but I was well pleased with my home of the day. I can't remember fishing this area before and wouldn't say no to come back again. Long slim island to my left, island in front about 50m away, small island to right 60m at 1 oclock and some tree stumps 50 m away at 2 oclock. Sedges to my left also in margins and loads of open water.

My set up was rods first, Bomb and hybrid feeder. Pole set up as well with margin rig for dobbing in sedges, pole lines at 2+2 as a starter. Plan was start on rods and fall back on pole if fishing not liking rod offerings. Terminal and elastic beefed up to handle the Islands feisty fish.

My company was big John Lanelly to my left on 53, Paul Whitehouse to my right on 55 and we had Big Bash regular guest Phil Codlin on 56.
All in shout from stand in timekeeper Jasper as Glen was living it up in the Caribbean and out we go. I started on popped up bread with 3x8mm discs at 12 inch off bottom. Target area was the island straight out in front 50m away Chuck and wait, feeding 8mm pellets over top. Also started to feed corn to far end of island on my left.

I think first fish caught were at far end with Gav catching a couple of lumps, Steve Curtis doing what he does best as well. At out end Phil Codlin and then Paul caught a couple with no shows for yours truly and I started to get worried. I was casting bread out then waiting about ten minutes between casts. After 30 minutes the rod finally arced around and fish on, 2 minutes later a lovely scaled 3lber in the bag. 5 minutes later and one about 6lbs which was not happy at all and I did my dam best to lose it. Into sedges it went, then under platform and almost came back through my keepnets. Somehow I managed to get it back out and into my net and I was very hopeful more would follow. There was another 30 minute gap before a 3lb chub paid a visit. Long story short. I would get a bite then have to wait a while but at least I was catching decent fish. This stopped with a small skimmer and 6 ounce roach. I started to swap around then, trying corn then 8mm pellets went on which was best move of day. I also started to chuck around the swim to see if I could generate interest and locate their hiding place. A couple form the stump area but also lost some from there as they know where the snags are.

Early afternoon there was another long quiet period before a short run towards the end of some decent crucians back in front of the island direct in from of me. Come the weigh in and the 2 brave youngsters who don't hesitate jumping in the cold water gave me a scare with weight of 19-3, I didn't realise they held back 2 larger carp for second weigh of 12-8 to give 31-11 and confidence boosting section win. The lost fish cost me but happy to catch a few for a change.

Jon Lanelly on 53 had nothing short of a nightmare. Another good peg but better in the warmer months. He had a lot of water and options but none were forthcoming with fish. He must have covered the whole of his swim with his bomb and feeder to no avail. He tried several pole lines and small roach were his only reward. Finally 2:45 his rod went round and a carp was engaged and netted giving him 8-9 total. Winter fishing does test your mettle at times as the fish are not interested as they are in Summer.
Paul Whitehouse on 55 set up for a rod only match. Again numerous swims were tried but the carp were not playing for Paul this weekend for a total of 13-8.

Codders on 56 swapped and changed between rods and long pole tactics. Carp were again proving illusive and he was putting a weight together with the chunky crucians and silvers on his pole. I think after seeing me catching carp he spent last hour or so trying his luck on bomb but the carp were not coming out to play for him either. 27-8 his second in section reward, well done Phil.

Section one saw match winner Steve Curtis peg 63 45 lb dead of his trusty method tactics, well done Steve. Section winner Gav on peg 64 with a close run 44-12 to Steve and second in section John Utting on peg 62 with 33lbs.

Everyone caught a few but one or two frustrated as the Islands carp were playing shy and illusive. Match across from us also suffering similar circumstances with one or two of their club taking a "walk" during their quiet periods.

Thank you Jasper for the organisation, Steve who was rested from weighing in but took the score card around and everyone sticking it out.

We go again in 2 weeks across the road to Messingham Sands New Lake. Conformations, payments required and spaces available if you fancy a dabble and a laugh with the bashers.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire