News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Summer League 2022 round 15 Lindholme Laurels

Started by Leo Martin, October 23, 2022, 09:23:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Summer league round 15 Lindholme Laurels 22.10.2022

Our last match of the 2022 summer league saw us at Lindholme on Laurels lake, with 23 pegged on the whole 43 peg lake. As pegging a match goes, some are side by side, some pegs missed due to corners and try reduce casting across lines issues and some alternate pegs so spare platforms are available.
The last couple of weeks have seen torrential storms and high winds, the weather gods certainly looked after the Big Bash AC for this match with a lovely autumnal day. Sunshine, light winds, fluffy clouds overhead and the match fished by some in their shirts.

Peg 40 my office for the day, pleased I managed away from dead mans corner which seems to be my standard peg on this lake. A good peg with full island in front and start of bowl to chuck to. Couldn't reach spare peg 40 platform but room along grass bank for some margin work. Big Glen close  by in  peg 41 so vocal chords would be exercised today. Bagger Sam on 39 giving lessons out for free again. Along the early pegs Fishfinder in his resident peg 2, fresh from coaching Paul Whitehouse next door, then Mark, Joe and Steve Guy towards deadmans corner.

Pole lines set up 2+2 in front, one pellet, one maggot. Margin to left and method and bomb rods with target area end of island overhanging willow and alongside island.
Glens whistle blew and out with method, micros and 5mm yellow washter, patiently waiting. Around the lake most anglers were on rods whilst feeding pole lines. Smiler cold be seen with pole at full length to his island trying his luck despite a cross wind. Go on Paul I thought.

All quiet around the lake and then after 15 minutes on 3rd chuck around went the rod tip for a 1lb F1, happy days I thought. Spent 60 minutes on this line for one more missed bite so sacked it off to the pole. Pellet nothing, maggot's small roach and some perch to about 8 ounce. By this time most anglers had caught carp so the maggot and silver route was a non starter as size and numbers were nothing to write home about.

Struggled for bites on method despite swaping and changing hook bait colours and flavours whilst Glen, Steve and bagger Sam were putting fish in their nets.
Made a change around 1pm to 18 hook on bomb rod, 4mm pellet feeding 4's over top to middle of island first then moving to edge of island. The fish seemed to like my change and I started catching one or two. These dried up at 3pm and I was back to swapping lines again 23-12, thanks for coming but I enjoyed the day and pleased with my 1pm change and I managed to catch a few. Lost and pulled out about 10 fish but I think this was with the small hook. For the record only 1 hook length was lost in the trees of the island where tress are starting to gain float decorations for Xmas.

Big Glen on feeder had some decent skimmers to start off with and struggled to find a carp or F1. Chucking to the bowl was his most success. On his pole lines, some bites but nothing to write home about. Lunch time Glenn went to peg 43 pallet and the clue was in the sign, do not use pallet unsafe. After a couple of decent perch the carp joined the party and stripped 2 top kit elastics, and a 3rd rig in the snags to make Glens day. he moved back on the feeder ad picked up some carp off there before going back to right hand margin but closer to his peg. After "filling it in" resting 15 minutes then he enjoyed a good run of fish to end the match strongly and second in section. Lost fish cost him a better weight but well done partner.
Bagger Sam on 38 has a good start on feeder to right hand side of island and gap between, I don't think his pole line did much but also had a good margin spell towards end of the match fishing to his left hand side. Always good to watch as he rotates lines and tries new things when bites dry up. Pellet waggler came out for a spell in bowl and
to island but snagged trees so that put paid to that. Also went on bomb I think into his open water and caught on that also. His last fish was a margin munter and despite whistle blown Sam kept focussed, landed the fish to take the match win. Well done young man.

Mr Curtis on his resident peg 2 caught 5 fish in first hour on his trusty method rod then watch others catch whilst he patiently waited. The fish had moved on but Steve not to out off searched his area, bowl, aerator, peg 1 platform, corner chucks and with rotating and searching does what Steve does best with 40-13 for a consistent section win. Peg 3 saw our regular guest Paul Whitehouse fresh from his Paul Wright coaching session fishing pole and feeder but struggled in the sunshine. His patience paid off as he had a late run but they arrived too late to make a difference. I am sure Paul will find the fish as he joins us on the winter league to collect a few brown envelopes.
Match winner Sam 64-5
section winners Steve Curtis 40-13, Anndy W8 57.2 indian 28.6 and Mick Roche 45.12.
Second in sections Joe Martin24.8, Robson Kerry 36.12, Keith Smith 25.12 and my mucker Glen with 34.7

Thank you to Jasper for another well run match to end the summer league. Much appreciated mate for all the hard work behind the scenes. Thank you as well to Steve Curtis for weighing in duties, assisted by Andy W8 today, again much appreciated by everyone. Thank you to our time keeper Glen for keeping an eye on his watch whilst  fishing at the same time
So as another summer league ends we reflect back and despite some challenges its been another great year. The club saw an influx of new blood this year and everyone has settled in really well to the group adding new dynamics. Good banter and laughs, paying on and turning up every match and mucking in and helping if required and possible. Even had some match wins which is great to see. Our young guns, Sam and Robson continue to flourish and develop their skills and are not shy of taking podium places either which is great to see, good for the sport and our clubs future. Us oldies and less infirm continue to moan our way through the matches and life in general. We appreciate the company, days out in fresh air and maybe catch one or two along the way to boot. Long may it continue.

Roll of honour reads like this with some familiar faces taking the honours.
Top of the league Steve Curtis with 15 points, outstanding consistency.
Second in league Andy W8 with 19 points
Third in league Max with 20 points
Fourth place Indian with 25 points
Biggest fish Max  13 lbs 2oz from Beeches
Well done everybody.

Farewell to our summer league anglers, look after yourselves and see you bankside next year.
The fur and feather match is on 17th December, hope to see you all there.
Winter league kicks off on bonfire day 5th November, let's hope for some fishy fireworks, please pay on timely as always.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Brilliant write up buddy

result sheet attached
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Peg 2 for me again,tighter pegged then last time I fished it,was going to be hard but definitely the best peg in the section with 2- 6 all in,Glen on 41 and I had the same swim on feeder but we kept apart a bit so was not too bad,started on feeder and had reasonable start with 5 f1s in 45 minutes but then dried up,tried pole and nothing.fed aerator from the start and had a few f1s and a small carp,few on method and 1 in edge for 40lb was a hard day and getting runs of fish was not happening 1 or 2 then change was the order of the day.happy with section.End of another years summer league well run again by jasper and leo.

big glen

Great summery of the days events Leo
Really enjoyed your company on the day mate , very frustrating at times for me keeping getting stuck on the snags in my swim , I lost more fish than i weighed in .
4 rigs 6 hook lengths and 2 Dacron connectors , note to self , must check my elastics more often .
well done to young Sam on his win and Steve for his league win .
sneaked a second in section thanks to Sam's win , lovely autumn day no rain and not cold .
Another season over , really enjoyed everybody's company , roll on the winter league .