News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2022 Fur and Feather Lindholme Bonsai 17.12.2022

Started by Leo Martin, December 17, 2022, 21:29:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

2022 Big Bash AC fur and feather Lindholme was Willows, now Bonsia 17.12.2022

Well another 12 months has travelled by and some very timely the temperature drops, hard frosts and the first onset of winter threaten to scupper the Big Bash AC fur and feather match.
14 brave anglers were up for the end of year match, no league points, everyone in Christmas joy, spirit and banter.
Most lakes in the area were froze solid, Aaron took his digger around to break ice and free up numerous pegs across his complex and the word was Willows had been hit hard and Bonsai would be a better bet and easier to guarantee some fishing could take place. The ice on Bonsai was about 4 inch and he had managed to break slots in most of the pegs around the lake so the switch was on. 14 reduced to 13 as one of our senior members exercised his common sense. The lake was to be shared with another club and we had the outer pegs so a park behind job to save any barrow works.
Friday night Jaspers seasonal theme wheel of fortune spun and dealt yours truly peg 36. Oh dear was my reaction as not my favoured area in summer let alone winter. I missed the draw as blocked boiler condensate pipe under tiles on my roof required fixing as no bloody hot water or heating in our house, doh.
I actually did a bit of prep last weekend in advance by changing my rod tips down to thinnest and sensitive 1/2once ones, not much use this week however as the weather killed any chances of rods being used.
Another cold night was experienced (not at home, boiler fixed ) but enough to freeze the lake again.-3 when I left home, -2 at Lindholme around 8am when I arrived and was greeted by the sight of Mr Fox senior with tinfoil in his hands and food in mouth again. I'll guess at bacon sausage and tomato roll. Quick chat with Jasper and both in favour of a bingo draw, swap gifts and early finish however the members were hard at some serious cardio vascular exercise breaking their ice in front of them. As a democratic club the choice was made, we fish and ice breaking it was. Overnight the water that had been cleared was frozen to 1inch thick. 7lb weights were pinging off it and big John had best method seen with a bowling action type of swing to bring the weight direct onto ice. Working out from bank alongside Aaron's neat bucket cut, wide enough for 3 nets and only out as far as top + 1 ½ for Leos peg however.
Aaron did arrive a little later and opened up a few more pegs but generally most of our guys had broke their own.
The noise and disturbance we produced was countered as there was another club on Bonsia with a few pegs at bottom end of the arm. The aerators were on and there was signs of clear water down there. 
Whistle blown and in we go. Not a lot of options, top 2 + 1 ½ to corner of ice hole on right and yep top 2 +1 ½ t corner of ice hole on my left, both 3 feet deep to start off with. Maggots, pellet, bread, corn, worm all tried and no bites all time. Shallowed off, shot patterns adjusted, hooks changed and still no bites all time. A ho ho ho and keep the faith.

Although cold it was dry, the company was great and words of encouragement between anglers flowed. Indian to my left, then quiet man Keith and John Utting, Andy Waite to my right all chirping away. I think the last time I was pegged here Keith had set up loud Captain Pugwash music under my car so not always that quiet when Keith wants to play.

First bite of the day and John Utting had lost a twig, not much can be said to that one. Lewis has a walk down to warm up after an hour and said venue expert Paul Whitehouse had caught a few skimmers. Then we hear Jasper had a couple of small roach. Glen had a fish, Foxy had a fish and then Andy Waite after stretching his legs to warm as well caught a couple. No activity in peg 36 so decided to feed myself to see if this would help win a bite, nope.

12:30 Indian as sharply focussed as he is watching his eggs when cooking breakfast, managed a small F1, then a better perch (which got its own back spiking him) and he was away. He kept putting little runs together first from his right and then his most productive swim, left hand side to corner of cut ice, double maggot his bait of choice. 6lb 5 made up on numerous small fish, well done on your section win buddy.
Andy Waite on peg 38 caught 2 fish after his walk and then sat, and sat and sat joining the no bites all time club. 1lb 7 for second in section, well done mate.
Keith on peg 31 managed a better F1 and weighed in 2lb 11, well done mate.

We started to receive rain around 2pm, the other match on Bonsai had blown for time and were packing up so maybe they disturbed a fish which caused it to loose itself and end up in peg 36? At this time I was on a size 22 and 1 ½ breaking strain bottom, double red maggot and the float moved slightly. Could it be? Maybe? The float lowered and moved towards ice raising my tension even more do I lift or wait a little longer? The float tip lowered slightly more to level with water surface and I couldn't wait and lifted the pole up. To my surprise no elastic streamed out but the line was taught so I shipped in and a 2 inch perfectly scaled and formed F1 graced my landing net. Yes get in,  I'm not water licked. It did have to spend a lonely three quarters of an hour to the match end swimming alone in my keepnet but that's winter fishing.

John Utting not to be left out managed to also snare a fish himself with about 15 minutes left, well done John.

Whistle sounded from Glen and steady drizzle falling now to wet up as we packed up but it's the fur and feather and mince pies await in the pub.

Weigh in team of Jasper and Sam come along the bank and my fish tipped the balance with a little help off Andy Waite at 2 solid ounces of muscle, a prime F1 for the future no doubt. Ha ha.

In the pub now and some quick maths off Jasper and prizes awarded read out to section winners and second in sections which meant there was a good spread of monies to be paid. At the end of the day this clubs matches are not there for vast money winners, it is the friendship, banter that keeps everyone turning up week in and week out in all weathers

Must mention Jaspers 13lb 14 and Mr Fox senior 9lb 6 off pegs 21 and 24. Massive weights all things considered. From Indian on peg 34 to Bagger Sam on 48 the highest weight on our bank was Big Mark on peg 40 for a section winning decent chub of 2lb 2.
After the mince pies it was exchange of gifts time and some kind donations to the club from Aaron.

A nice surprise waited everyone in the pub, Mally had come across to say hello and wish us all well. He is recovering well and hoping to be back in the summer league next year. Continue to take your time, stay positive and nice to see you. Also special thanks to your mate from bringing you across, sorry I didn't catch your name.

Well it will be 2023 when I see you all again. Have a great Xmas and happy and healthy new year to you all and your families.

We go again January 7th Messingham Grange on Osprey Lake for a change, some members to confirm and a few to pay on please. Guests welcome if you are mad enough.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire