News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Summer League round 7 Lindholme Loco 2.7.22

Started by Leo Martin, July 03, 2022, 09:10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash summer league round 7 Lindholme Loco Lake 2.7.2022

The Big Bash AC we like to switch things round a little with different lakes, different venues mixed in with our "local regulars" and we adopted a late start match a few years ago which was well received amongst our members. The thoughts being to get amongst some margin munters and Loco Lake at Lindholme presents this option very well. Following this years ADM a vote was passed for a rod only match and Loco Lake offered itself from the 2022 match listings so it was a double difference for this weekend.

Some debate amongst members to our pegging and this generated even more discussions on arrival to find the second club on the lake was a no show. Half of Loco was un-fished whilst our club was peg to peg for most of us. The Friday night draw remained as although a friendly club, a redraw would have opened up all sort of enthusiastic debate so unfortunately this is a downside of the Friday night draw but well outweighed with the advantages. 

With only rods to set up pre match discussions and banter went on and on as our members had time on their hands saved from not having pole, rollers, top kits etc. to unpack.
Peg 14 my office of the day, Andy W on 13, and Indian on 15, a chatty day was on the cards. Method, Bomb, shot gun feeder, waggler, simples.
Weather started warm ( shorts and Tee shirt stuff), strong wind left to right. Weather turned to overcast, cloudy, wind changed to blow into us on our bank, the dropped right off, even had a couple of light showers and we were lucky not to catch any serious rain. A nice day for fishing.

First chuck on method and tip went round for a F1, second chuck missed one, 3rd chuck nowt. Spent too long in first section of match persisting on method with fishery micros and yellow wafter. Most success was when I changed onto 8mm pellet on bomb and loose feeding over the top. Nothing on waggler, surprisingly nothing from margins where I tried a float rod, bomb and method, doh.

Had some runs of fish/ bites and long gaps as they drifted off, it was better in the later afternoon than early section of  the match. Not sure if this was linked to the wind or weather changes or just how it was, that's fishing. Anyhow 43-15, only 1 3lb carp rest F1s and a couple of skimmers early on. Not great, but much better than my recent draws and performances and nice to see tip go round and catch a few fish again.

Good day on banter front and unfortunately Indian smiled through most whilst he continued to catch fish after fish for long spells during the day. It started when Kev hearing lads further up were bagging on waggler so Kev had a go on his but the tree to his right intervened a few times causing him to sack it off. Andy and myself were hoping for a masterclass but Indian would not bite, needless to say next years lodge breakfast is now at risk with boiled eggs being threatened for us both.

Andy, returning after Covid ruined his recent festival had what seemed like gallons of left over casters to use up. He proceeded to "spod" these all around his swim to try draw in the fish hoping they would follow the wind to the awaiting food fest. I don't think it worked quite as he expected. Andy's most success was also on Bomb and pellet and managed to compliment his F1's with a few large Loco carp. Disappointed his pre baited margin, under tree in corner and peg 11 platform never delivered is an understatement. 

The Bashers skills and armoury were tested with the rod only slant, bomb rods, feeder rods, wagglers and Steve Curtis using his slow sinking feeder skills. Jasper who never prescribes to his pellet waggler fishing being a favoured method "had a go today" and it paid off dividends taking the match apart. Waggler first off, then coming inside on feeder rod to trouble the scales with 176-1. Well done mate.

Reports came down our bank of Mick Roches bagging also on waggler and Steve Curtis sinking feeder catching as well but I think Jasper switching inside helped him to a clear victory. Well done to all other packet pickers. It was surprising that the lads on early pegs with wind in their faces seemed to have struggled as it was believed the fish would have followed the wind to them.

End of the day and the weigh list does not hide the fact that everyone caught and despite the tight pegging some great weights have been recorded.
So the question is, how did your day go, what methods worked what didn't. It seems like heavy feeding was key to some guys success.
Also did the rod only theme work as a change to standard format? We need feedback to help in future match decisions, thank you.

Next match is at Swanlands, names to confirm and pay on please. Sorry I can't be there, I am meeting some old mining buddy's for our annual reunion. Please say hello to the waterfowl for me and check if the rowing boat has had its hole plugged.

Finally best wishes and get well soon to some of our members who were missing this weekend.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Rod only ok by me. Later start also fine. Choice of venue important if we are to keep with this format in the future.

fishfinder

Was not expecting it to fish as well as it did,because not seen it fish well even with more room.Just fished probably my worst match all year,as I made some big errors  and sould have done much better. Started long to the island ? ,not sure if I found it but wasted 45 minutes on it for nothing whilst a few fish were caught short by others,came on the short method and had 3 then dried up as did other people's short line ,mistake 1 not starting short.Then others started catching on waggler which mistake 2 had not rigged it up with a strong cross wind,had rigged sinking feeder up incase the wind had dropped knowing it was not right for it in that wind but mistake 3 tried it for 30 minutes even though I knew it was wrong sould have rigged a waggler up would have only took 5 minutes mistake 4, then decided to feed heavily try and put them down on to my bomb line but didn't work and think I over fed it,on the up side did manage to get a few on feeder but think it was a bomb and waggler day.Just goes to show it doesn't matter how many times you have been fishing we all make mistakes and we keep learning.

steelcowboy

I used to enjoy my visits to Lindholme but now with the very tight pegging not so  much ! I have never had a problem with peg for peg fishing on venues that have a 10mt between pegs , but unfortunately this is not the case at Lindholme with lots of pegs less than 5mt !!
We got lucky today with the wind hacking into our bank and the other match not turning up helped to make it quite an enjoyable day.
Think I might have been the only one to try the breakfast and to be honest it was ok bacon not so good but worth a 6/10 and fortunately I was the only person eating so didn't have to wait the 40 minutes or more .

I set up 4 rods , pellet waggler , bomb rod , pellet feeder and my 11' feeder rod for the edge ?

Caught a few on pellet wag and a few on bomb but never in any numbers , a couple of fish of each method and then having to swop lots of quiet spells .
Had a chat with a youngster fishing behind me on the strip and asked if he mind if I changed one of his pole rigs , set him up with a rig for banded pellet and told him how to feed and to fish out in front and leave the margin/stick ups for later .
Anyhows he started to catch and get a couple of lumps out before he got broke off and lost the lot . I set him up again with another rig and he was still catching after we left happy days .

I feed my margin from the the off with micros and 6mm and at 5pm I went in for a look . I had set up my 11' feeder rod with a pole rig attached it using the snap swivel never ever did I think this would work especially with how deep the margin was .
Got broke within two minutes so new hook length and went back in with a banded 8mm pellet again reset the clutch to zero so if I was lucky they could run out into the lake . Well I had 4 in that last hour , one at 18lb one at 15lb and the other two around 10lb each . These munters gave me my 1st 100lb weight at Lindholme I think so happy chappy.

Enjoyed the day enjoyed the format but we did get lucky on the day . Remember pegs 9, 10 , 11 & 12 would not have been able to fish peg 2 would have not been good if the other match had turned up .

After this year series going forward I will be very selective on the matches I fish at Lindholme. Fishing Bonsia a few weeks  back and sat  between Paul & John who I could touch with a top kit and 1 section is just not for me .Paying £10 a peg and the ever rising fuel costs I am sorry just does not sit right with me and not something I can look forward to after a week at work.

I will always fish the legends match out of love and respect for past members.

Would love to hear your views on tight pegging / unfair pegs that we have paid for and have to fish or is it just me who thinks it is just not right .

Leo Martin

I must say we had a few knit one pearl one issues in our pegs due to distances separating us. Two of Andys fish from peg 13 came across Peg 14 and into my line. We did manage to untangle rods/ lines / hooks and both fish were successfully landed by Andy.  I had a fish go across the front of Indian in peg 15 and fortunately Kev was fishing in close so no issues for him. The fish were unable to be stopped when they went across others swims as it happens. I guess if we were not a friendly club, then someone may have pulled for a break.....
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire